My email account in my board gets a lot of spam

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
jwk87

My email account in my board gets a lot of spam

Post by jwk87 »

Hi all,

I have been running phpbb in various versions on my forum for about 15 years. Over the last 2 months I have been getting a lot of spam to the email account listed in my email settings in the board (the one that sends out the activate account emails etc)

I deleted that email and added a completely new email about 2 weeks ago and it did not stop the spamming to that account. Today I created another email account from a different server and host (nothing related to the original email and a different IP address) and within 2 hours I started receiving spam to that email account as well?

I am running the current version of PHPBB3 - 3.3.1 with PHP Version 7.3.21.

Any idea on how to fix this as every-time I change email the spamming to that account just doesn't stop?

Thanks

Jason
jwk87

Re: My email account in my board gets a lot of spam

Post by jwk87 »

furthermore to this - this is what an email looks like - it appears it is coming from the contact tab on the index page. Is there anyway to disable that link or make it only available to logged on users?

Hello Administrator,

The following is an e-mail sent to you through the administration contact
page on "my forum site name".

The message was sent from a guest who specified the following contact
information:
Name: guadalupedz4
E-mail address: charlotte@yuji6610.yuji61.yagoo.website
IP Address: 198.50.158.140

Message sent to you follows
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You can turn it off here: ACP> Board configuration> Contact page settings> Enable contact page> Enable/Disable

Or you can also install https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ontact_us/ or https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... act_admin/

There’s no point making it just for logged in users, it’s purpose is for prospective new users who can’t register or whatever. It would also help if you supplied a link to your board so we can see if there is anything different you can do.

BTW - Changing email addresses won’t stop what you’re experiencing.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
samlrs

Post by samlrs »

I had the similar issue
turned out somehow my mal got int the spam database ( maybe not even the mail itself but the place on the site where the automated system could fetch it )
after changing the name and changing it on the contact page for the plain picture the spam stopped altogether
at least for a while
Last edited by thecoalman on Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quote.
bikeridr

Post by bikeridr »

I had (have) the same issue.
However, I reduced the spam abt 50% by changing the outgoung mail server in ACP to SMTP secure server from host.
Still a bit spam, but at least it is reduced a tad.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”