my database keeps crashing

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
TheButcher2

my database keeps crashing

Post by TheButcher2 »

Hi guys long time no talk, I have hardly ever had my database crash, maybe once if that in 3 years, in the past month it has crashed 4 times, a quick "Repair" in the Cpanel gets it back up, but why would it do this all of a sudden, it only happens on my https://www.sponsorchat.com not the .net forum I run, both are running 3.3.0 and same extensions.

Peace
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: my database keeps crashing

Post by KevC »

Crashes with what message?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
TheButcher2

Post by TheButcher2 »

Hi Kev

Thanks for taking the time to check my question, it's always a different message, here is one from a couple of weeks ago that I have since I forwarded it to my techs.

"General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Table 'phpbb_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [1194]

SQL

SELECT u.user_id, u.user_colour, u.username, u.user_type, u.user_lastvisit, u.user_allow_viewonline, MAX(s.session_time) as session_time, s.session_viewonline FROM (phpbb_users u) LEFT JOIN phpbb_sessions s ON (s.session_user_id = u.user_id) WHERE u.user_lastvisit > 1600705910 OR s.session_user_id <> 1 GROUP BY u.user_id, s.session_viewonline ORDER BY u.username_clean

BACKTRACE"
david63

Post by david63 »

Have you spoken to your hosts about this?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
TheButcher2

Post by TheButcher2 »

david63 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:51 pm Have you spoken to your hosts about this?
I figured why bug them, I go to my Cpanel hit repair, , but I will open a ticket see if they can shed some light.

Peace
david63

Post by david63 »

TheButcher2 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:52 pm why bug them
Because it is their problem
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

That's really the sort of thing your host needs to be looking at as to why their server is not maintaining the database integrity.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
TheButcher2

Post by TheButcher2 »

fair enough I opened a ticket with them to see if they can figure it out for me, thanks for the advice.

Peace

Dave
TheButcher2

Post by TheButcher2 »

I received a reply for the techs, do I get a web developer to create this new table or what, thanks.

"The logs aren't providing a reason for the crash though, but the table that is crashing is always the same
'phpbb_sessions'

If the data on this table isn't necessary for user information, which it seems itt isn't, just logs login sessions, we suggest to delete the table and create a new one with the same name.
Perhaps the current table is too large and for this reason it crashes, but for specific reason a web developer would have to check.
We see the server has plenty of disk space, memory and processing left over, so it's not a resources issue that it runs out of memory and crashes. It just seems there are too many sessions saved on that table and it can't handle so much. "
TheButcher2

Post by TheButcher2 »

Okay heard back from them again, nice guys.

They suggest:

"Hello Dave,

Seems your panel has an option to deal with this.
Try following the instructions below, probably best during a slow time for your site to avoid any issues with users being disconnected or having any issue logging in.

ACP > GENERAL > Resynchronise or reset statistics > Purge all sessions - will clean sessions.

And remove any mods who count users for the last 24 hours - will be useful to decrease load. "

When it says "reset statistics" I hope that does not remove user post counts, or am I wrong.

Peace
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

TheButcher2 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:33 pm They suggest:
That's nonsense. Their server crashes and their answer is to put less data in the database? Ok then.

They sold you a car with a missing wheel and their suggestion is to carry fewer passengers.
I wrote the library that handles markup in phpBB 3.2+.
TheButcher2

Post by TheButcher2 »

Same thing just happened, replied to the ticket at my hosting company to have another look. Just curious if the extension is upto date what can be causing this crash.

Peace
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

If you suspect an extension may be causing this issue you should post in the support forum for the extension. The extension(s) overview page should give you an inkling of whether or not it’s compatible with your version of phpBB. The phpbb_sessions table crashing isn’t a new phenomenon and as far as I can recall is always down to server management. If you have a search around here you will see many other such cases.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

TheButcher2 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:33 pm When it says "reset statistics" I hope that does not remove user post counts, or am I wrong.

Peace
That's the heading for the box it's in, it's on main page of ACP. Purging the sessions will empty the table. The only consequences is every user will get logged out.

How many rows are in that table?
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm »

Out of interest what database are you using and what version is installed?

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”