To .html or not to .html?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Froggyted

To .html or not to .html?

Post by Froggyted »

Hi. I'm new to phpbb forums and am currently in the process of installing a Board on my website.

All my existing website pages use a .html suffix: this is the default method with the web building software i've used. Entering an url into a browser without the .html suffix renders a 404 error message.

I created a Test phpbb Board and installed it directly into my Server using an FTP client. The parent directory i installed these files into does not have an .html suffix and the Board can nevertheless be accessed by typing the relevant url into a browser. Therefore, can anybody see any advantage at all in hosting my finalised Board on an url that bears an .html suffix?

Thanks in advance.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: To .html or not to .html?

Post by KevC »

It's a php board so all of the URLs end in .php
You can't change that. Or if you could your updating process would be a total nightmare.

Nobody types URLs these days. They'll 'google' for it and just click the link.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
Froggyted

Post by Froggyted »

KevC wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:14 pm
It's a php board so all of the URLs end in .php
You can't change that. Or if you could your updating process would be a total nightmare.

Nobody types URLs these days. They'll 'google' for it and just click the link.
Hi KevC, thanks for your reply. I appreciate that people rarely type urls, it was just to illustrate that doing so on other pages on my site minus the .html suffix returns a 404 error. You are right of course: having taken a closer look at the phpbb Board urls i see the .php suffix at the end of each page url, therefore the .html suffix i added to the end of my parent directory is obviously superfluous, rendering a page url as, for example, website.org/forum_test.html/index.php. D'oh! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'm new to creating a Board and only have a very limited knowledge of file structures etc. I think i can now press ahead and create my Board, having also, i think, solved the separate issue with Admin login as per separate post on this forum, which i'll update once i'm certain the issue is resolved. In my defence, this login problem has addled my brain somewhat, resulting in hours of frustration and several reinstalls of the phpbb software onto my server thinking there was a directory issue, when all the time it appears to have been a Browser cookie issue.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Froggyted wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:41 pm
The parent directory i installed these files into does not have an .html suffix
If your talking about the directory name it shouldn’t have a suffix.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
Froggyted

Post by Froggyted »

Mick wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:39 pm
Froggyted wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:41 pm
The parent directory i installed these files into does not have an .html suffix
If your talking about the directory name it shouldn’t have a suffix.
Ok, thanks Mick.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”