[Split] Private Messages email notifications not working p

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
profKroy

[Split] Private Messages email notifications not working p

Post by profKroy »

Is there a way that I can verify if the GoDaddy email server is causing this issue, as was suggested? I'm running in to the very same problem with PM email notifications (though on 3.2.7). However all other email notifications denoted in the UCP are being sent with no issues. No errors being reported in phpBB error logs either.
Last edited by Mick on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Using phpBB extensively to teach online courses. Always looking for extensions geared towards helping students.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: [Split] Private Messages email notifications not working p

Post by Mick »

Have you spoken to GoDaddy?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
profKroy

Post by profKroy »

Mick wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:45 am Have you spoken to GoDaddy?
Yes, they can't make any determinations but I haven't yet spoken to the "Tier 2" support. I am using php to send emails, so not connected to any SMTP server configured in the phpBB ACP. My thought is to configure phpBB to send through SMTP as a next step. But I think it's odd that all other email notifications work fine. It's just this one feature.
Using phpBB extensively to teach online courses. Always looking for extensions geared towards helping students.
profKroy

Post by profKroy »

Another inquiry on this. I continue to test, and still can't seem to get phpBB to fire off an email notification. Advice on some other areas to check that might yield some clues? I am running 3.2.7 and I can't seem to find anything specific to this version. All other email notifications seem to be working fine except the PM notification. PHP Version 7.2.33 fyi.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

profKroy wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:30 amIs there a way that I can verify if the GoDaddy email server is causing this issue
I see you’re using the php mail function, is it set up as described here: Knowledge Base - EMAIL - Easy setup (NOT SMTP)?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
profKroy

Post by profKroy »

Just following up on this. I just now was able to get back to this and follow through with a solution. The solution stems from this post in GD knowledge base.

https://www.godaddy.com/community/cPane ... d-p/121092

I did two things from this list, but it was the latter that was the solution. In the file privmsg_notify.txt I changed the subject to" Subject: You Have a New PM!

Thus it no longer seems to be filtered and my students are now receiving PMs.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

profKroy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:50 pm ... In the file privmsg_notify.txt I changed the subject to" Subject: You Have a New PM!

A simple extension can be made in order you to change the subject as you wish. At this point you should decide to upgrade to the latest version of phpBB as 3.2.7 is too old and you do so at your own risk.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
profKroy

Post by profKroy »

3Di wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:36 pm
profKroy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:50 pm ... In the file privmsg_notify.txt I changed the subject to" Subject: You Have a New PM!

A simple extension can be made in order you to change the subject as you wish. At this point you should decide to upgrade to the latest version of phpBB as 3.2.7 is too old and you do so at your own risk.
Thanks 3Di, I will be making upgrades starting in the middle of June, to the latest version of phpBB, and all the extension I'm running. There are some extensions I really need to install that aren't supported on 3.2.7. EDIT: What I will need is a way to easily turn on/off PM email notifications for groups of users.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”