Inactive accounts

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Lost_in_Space

Inactive accounts

Post by Lost_in_Space »

If I set a forum member's account to ''inactive'', is that a temporary or permanent ban from the forum? And if it's temporary, it should appear to him/her when the ban is lifted, as it were?
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Inactive accounts

Post by thecoalman »

If you are going to ban account then ban the account, if you set limited ban they get massage account has been banned for X days. Deactivating is additional step you may want to take. If for example it was spammer and you don't want the profile publicly accessible. Ban the account and then deactivate it. I don't know for sure if they can reactivate it when it's only been deactivated by admin but they can't reactivate if it's been banned.

Another place you may want to deactivate is if for example someone dies.... Deactivation will remove their publicly accessible profile, contact links on posts etc.

Both bans and deactivation by themselves are reversible.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Inactive accounts are those accounts where the prospective user has not received or responded to the activation email for their account. It’s not the same as banning. What is your actual issue, are you having a lot of spam registrations or attempts?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Mick wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:42 am
Inactive accounts are those accounts where the prospective user has not received or responded to the activation email for their account.
You can deactivate account after they have registered and posted. As I mentioned above this will remove contact links on their posts, removes their profile from public view and it will also hide their name in publicly viewable member list. The only thing that remains is posts and they have no profile ink or contact links.

If someone on your forum passes away, well you don't want to remove their name on posts but there is also no reason for someone to be sending them PM's either. Same thing applies for spammers, deactivating it will remove them from all those publicly available lists. The spam posts of course would need to be moved to private forum or deleted.

As I mentioned above I don't know if admin deactivation by itself necessarily blocks them from reactivating it themselves. It's moot question if you are using it in addition to ban.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Indeed but I can’t say I’ve seen inactive users used like that, especially on a large scale, apart from the case of a bereavement of course. I’m interested to know if it’s a bot issue the OP is having in which case there are other methods for that.
HaioPaio

Post by HaioPaio »

I'm using the manual deactivation for managing users wich haven't logged in for a set period of time.
Those manually deactivated users will later be bulk deleted after an additional period of time.
When a deactivated user attempts to log in, he will see a notice that he has been deactivated, and that he can request reactivation via the contact form.
The reactivation allows the user to continue like there would have been no interruption.
I prefer that over banning and over deleting them.
Lost_in_Space

Post by Lost_in_Space »

HaioPaio wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:29 am
When a deactivated user attempts to log in, he will see a notice that he has been deactivated, and that he can request reactivation via the contact form.
Can you send me a print screen of this? It can be via PM, if you want privacy.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Do it yourself, register a test user. Login as admin, ban or deactivate them. logout as admin and then try to login as test user.

Lost_in_Space

Post by Lost_in_Space »

Ok. Another way to answer my question. When a user has been banned for X amount of time, it does not appear that they have been deactivated, does it? It shows the message that the ban will be lifted in X date, correct?

I can't test these issues myself, I am no longer an admin on the forum I used to be part of. But I still want to know what happened.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Lost_in_Space wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:56 am
I can't test these issues myself
You can, install a local server on your desktop machine using WAMP, MAMP or XAMPP (there are more available) etc, install phpBB and play to your hearts content.
Lost_in_Space

Post by Lost_in_Space »

Ok, someone could always just answer the simple question I made but I guess I will have to go a tremendous hassle myself. No hard feelings though. :thumbsup: :lol:
david63

Post by david63 »

Lost_in_Space wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:27 am
If I set a forum member's account to ''inactive'', is that a temporary or permanent ban from the forum?
An inactive user is unable to logon to the board - does that answer your question.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Lost_in_Space wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:42 am
Ok, someone could always just answer the simple question I made but I guess I will have to go a tremendous hassle myself. No hard feelings though. :thumbsup: :lol:
The thing is that inactivating and banning are 2 different things.
An inactivated user can request a new activation, a banned user can't and it isn't necessary since the account remains active (unless you also deactivate it) : the user can log in but gets the notice that he's banned, whereas an inactivated user can't log in. Once you delete a banned or inactive user, the account is gone they can reuse the mailaccount to make a new account.
A ban is either permanent or for a set timeperiod (you decide), inactivation is until you activate the account, or ... the user requests a new activation mail (if you allow that).

There's also another way to limit what a user can do: add the user to a group with all permissions set to NEVER.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

It is not a "ban".
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:59 am
It is not a "ban".
I know it's not a ban, but inactivating or banning is something which immediately informs that particular user that his account has been limited.
The NEVER group is something that user won't realise for a while, and it's my way to irritate the guy (payback time 8-) ). (I truly did that to 1 user about 4 or 5 years ago).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”