New version update Reg

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Madhumathi Bharath

New version update Reg

Post by Madhumathi Bharath »

Dear Team,

for my website i am using phpbb . since i am a non technical person i feel very difficult with new version update all times.
while using cpanel i collapsed my website data. hence i need the following help. ( it happens every single time :cry: )

kindly upload a video for how to update phpbb new version or else please give a simple method without accessing cpanel.(i would b pleased if i have a option to update to the version in ACP itself)

Madhu
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: New version update Reg

Post by warmweer »

Madhumathi Bharath wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:17 pm
for my website i am using phpbb . since i am a non technical person i feel very difficult with new version update all times.
while using cpanel i collapsed my website data. hence i need the following help. ( it happens every single time :cry: )
First of all you shouldn't really user your Cpanel for updating: FTP to upload the files, and then just navigate (browser) to yoursite/install.
See the instructions at https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... radeguide/ (for updating/grading to 3.3.x)
Just in case: with CPanel I take it you meant your host's Control Panel, not the phpBB Administrator Control Panel (ACP).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Madhumathi Bharath

Post by Madhumathi Bharath »

warmweer wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:06 pm
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:17 pm
First of all you shouldn't really user your Cpanel for updating: FTP to upload the files, and then just navigate (browser) to yoursite/install.
See the instructions at https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... radeguide/ (for updating/grading to 3.3.x)
Just in case: with CPanel I take it you meant your host's Control Panel, not the phpBB Administrator Control Panel (ACP).
thanks for your reply... i m badly need a video to update the version... i m bit confused with some technical instructions...
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

i m bit confused with some technical instructions...
Which ones?
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

as far as I know there are no current videos about how to update/upgrade.
If you have ftp and know how to use it then there is nothing a video will help you with.

it is very basic.
1. go to your board admin panel, turn off the board.
2. make a backup of the database from the admin panel
3. connect to your hosting ftp using a ftp program like filezilla
4. dowload all the files/folders of your phpBB to your computer where you can find them.
5. read and follow the instructions about how to update/upgrade.
warmweer wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:06 pm
follow those instructions exactly and in order. do not do anything not in those instructions and do
everything that is in those instructions and you will be fine.
If you have any problem, stop, do not continue , then come back here to ask for help.

be sure to describe exactly what you have done and exactly what happens etc.

robert
Last edited by Lumpy Burgertushie on Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
AleSSaNDRo

Post by AleSSaNDRo »

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:41 pm
i m bit confused with some technical instructions...
Which ones?
Exact. Tell us which instructions send you into crisis. It is not difficult to update.

I personally found the guide https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade31/ very useful
WebMaster of MondoWeb.net - Crea il tuo forum gratis (free hosting forum)
I'm italian! :) Sorry for my bad english :oops:
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:28 am
thanks for your reply... i m badly need a video to update the version... i m bit confused with some technical instructions...
You do not need a video. The instructions I linked to are more than sufficient based on your request.
Note that I linked to the main page because you didn't even specify which version you are updating from (nor: which version to).

Let's have a look at https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... date_full/ and try to be serious and realistic:
Imagine having to go through a video about taking a database backup first ... oops, first a video explaining what a database is and where to find it, then the video continues with how to backup using phpMyAdmin or the ACP. And what about file backups? Should the video show CuteFTP, Fizezilla, Cyberduck, ... whatever?
Hold it. Stop right now! What's an ACP? I don't have that in my control Panel at all.

I guess now you've seen the point I'm trying to make: some basic knowledge is needed and "requiring" video to provide that basic information and keeping it updated, isn't realistic.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”