Upgrading a v2.0.21 Legacy Forum

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
CrazyChef

Upgrading a v2.0.21 Legacy Forum

Post by CrazyChef »

Hi all! I just inherited a v2.0.21 forum that needs some serious upgrading (obviously). The 2.x support forums are all locked, so I can't really ask there. I did a forum search in the Support Forums, but didn't see anything there, either. So anyways, can someone point me in the direction of how to do these legacy updates to bring the forum software up to its current version? I can get the older files from Sourceforge, but could use a bit of guidance in the upgrade process. The forum has been around since 2005, has over 25,000 registered members, and over 700,000 posts. I really would prefer not to screw this up and lose all that data just by screwing up an update somewhere. I did a sql database backup, and it's over 2GB of data. Thanks!
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Upgrading a v2.0.21 Legacy Forum

Post by Mick »

Information on how to convert from phpBB2 to phpBB 3.3 is here and here (where you see 3.2 assume 3.3)

Basically, you must have both phpBB2 and phpBB 3.3 installed on the same server. After you have finished installing phpBB 3.3 you will have the option to convert your phpBB2 board using the built in converter. The information it asks you for is related to the phpBB2 installation and can be found in its config.php file on the server. All of your users, posts, forums, PMs etc are converted. However, styles and MODs are not (with the exception of the birthday and attachment MODs which are supported by the converter). The phpBB2 database is not converted per se, it is merely read and converted/moved to the new phpBB3 database, so if it goes wrong your old board will not be affected at all. At the end of the conversion, once you're happy it's all working, your phpBB2 database and files can be backed up and removed if you so wish. They are not connected to the new installation in any way.'

For general phpBB 3.3 help see the 3.3 User Guide.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

I've never upgraded a 2.0.x to anything above 3.0.x so what I'm about to write is NOT in any way saying that a conversion to 3.3 will be more difficult.
The point I want to make is that the 2.0 database has to be in working order, in other words, it best to test this before starting an upgrade/conversion.
Since the php version for phpBB 2.0 is too low for phpBB 3.3, I would do this on personal Webserver and convert to phpBB 3.0.14.
This would also allow using the STK to test the 3.0.14 database (just in case).
From then on upgrading to 3.3 shouldn't be a problem (again on personal webserver so that you can increase the max_execution_time (which could be too low on live hosting).
Actually with the size of your board using CLI is probably recommended.

Just in case: What Mick wrote is the recommended method. My alternative is just an alternative if you encouter timeout problems.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I don’t think phpBB 2.0 needs to be running to upgrade, just the config.php information and database are required - I could be wrong, it has been a while.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Mick wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:57 am
I don’t think phpBB 2.0 needs to be running to upgrade, just the config.php and database are required - I could be wrong.
No, you're not wrong, however with a database of that size (after importing it somewhere) I would like to check whether the import was transferred properly.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

also, with a database of that size, the three search tables are probably way over half of it.
they can be purged/deleted etc.
and yes, do this all on your computer using usbserver or wamp etc.
make a backup of the database before you start to work on it.

during the upgrade process, make a new database backup after each step.
after upgrade to 3.0 then another after upgrade to 3.1 etc.
if you do not and a problem happens you will have to start all over from the beginning.

good luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
CrazyChef

Post by CrazyChef »

Thank you all for your responses! Although I have admin access to the forum, I'm still waiting on FTP credentials from the actual site owner so I can start the upgrades.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I wonder why it’s being recommended to go to 3.0 first? There’s a 2.0 to 3.3 converter supplied with the 3.3 package and I haven’t seen any issues posted with that and it wouldn’t be supplied if it didn’t work or was dangerous in any way. As long as the OP has known working backups of his v2 database and follows the instructions to the letter there should be no issue. The offline testing is a good idea though.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Mick wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:20 am
I wonder why it’s being recommended to go to 3.0 first? There’s a 2.0 to 3.3 converter supplied with the 3.3 package and I haven’t seen any issues posted with that and it wouldn’t be supplied if it didn’t work or was dangerous in any way. As long as the OP has known working backups of his v2 database and follows the instructions to the letter there should be no issue. The offline testing is a good idea though.
Mick, I didn't insinuate any issue with the convertor from 3.3: just that with a database consisting of 700.000 posts the conversion might take some time and if timeout occurs or something goes wrong ... without having confirmed first that the 2.0.21 is functional on the system on which it is installed, we're no step further. With an sql backup of over 2GB there is no way I'm going to mess around on the host: everything on personal webserver where I can control all the settings.
In a perfect world the board would have converted and upgraded itself and the support forums would be empty :lol:

Having said this: if the 2GB backup has been tested and proven complete, then there's nothing wrong with trying the conversion on the host.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”