Upgrade went well... But!

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Upgrade went well... But!

Post by warmweer »

Thanks to EA117 (again) who stepped up (I was hoping for that) and again wrote something much better than I could ever have done.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Brian Lambert

Post by Brian Lambert »

Thank you EA117 Much appreciated as is all the previous help so far provided.
You're correct, I haven't done either alteration as yet! There was so much 'noise' about the upgrade and forum users complaining about them being unable to log in correctly and the need in some cases to refresh their cache and Cookie settings, that I've sat back and allowed the forum to settle for a day or three!
I don't want to cause more issues by altering any settings, so I'm planning on doing the two corrections late on next Tuesday evening when forum traffic will be low. Hopefully neither will cause the forum members to have to log in or worse to clear their cache etc again! :D

BTW Does any know how to turn off Prosilver Special Edition and Latte as board backgrounds? I can't find any settings in the ACP or Ive missed them! Or is it a case of deleting them in the file structure somewhere?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Brian Lambert wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:21 pm BTW Does any know how to turn off Prosilver Special Edition and Latte as board backgrounds? I can't find any settings in the ACP or Ive missed them! Or is it a case of deleting them in the file structure somewhere?
Thta should have been done before upgrading! (4 Deactivate all styles except for prosilver)
Anyway : ACP > Customise > Styles
In ACP > Board Settings you can style the default style (and override user_style: Yes or NO)
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Brian Lambert

Post by Brian Lambert »

Brilliant. Thank you :D
In ACP Customise in red it states Information: Could not get the style configuration file for: latte
In board setting Style set to Prosilver and override. :D
Brian Lambert

Post by Brian Lambert »

So I took Bull by Horns and decided to add the following to my ACP Cookie top text box (which was empty previously) .modelrailwayforum.co.uk
As soon as I went back in I was logged out and when I tried to log in with my User name and Password it was rejected!
Cleared Cookies and cache and then was able to log in correctly.

This is exactly what happened when I added this text to the top lines box a couple of days ago!
So now it seems I'm right back to square one, with all forum members needing to log back in or remove all cookies and cache from their devices

This will lead to loss of forum members who will not be happy with this for a second time! All cause by an upgrade to V3.3.x

So I have to ask WHY???
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

As said many times above, change the cookie name - add a digit to the end of it.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Brian Lambert

Post by Brian Lambert »

OK so a "Digit" being what exactly? 1 # or something else? So would this work correctly?.. .modelrailwayforum.co.uk# Or should it be something else?

I was originally advised to use www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk that was quickly corrected to remove the www and make it .modelrailwayfoum.co.uk thereby leaving the leading dot, which I've now done. That fails and requires a cookie and cache clearance to enable are log in correctly.

I'm loosing the plot slowly, so please do keep it dead simple! :D
Prosk8er
Name: Tyler

Post by Prosk8er »

Brian login to your forum go to the admin control panel on the bottom left under server configuration click cookie settings where it says cookie name you'll see something like phpbb3_xxxxx remove the last letter or number and replace it with a different number or letter
example: phpbb3_a1b2c so you would change it to phpbb3_a1b2d
Brian Lambert

Post by Brian Lambert »

Thank you so much. Have done that and changed the very last letter of the meaning less text from phpbb3_4xn8g to phpbb3_4xn8h
This time I was not logged out and haven't seen or noticed any difference. :D
Prosk8er
Name: Tyler

Post by Prosk8er »

your welcome and hope your all set now
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Brian Lambert wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:43 pm OK so a "Digit" being what exactly? 1 # or something else? So would this work correctly?.. .modelrailwayforum.co.uk# Or should it be something else?

I was originally advised to use www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk that was quickly corrected to remove the www and make it .modelrailwayfoum.co.uk thereby leaving the leading dot, which I've now done. That fails and requires a cookie and cache clearance to enable are log in correctly.

The cookie NAME, not the cookie DOMAIN. And you do not need to replace and characters - just add one at the end.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Brian Lambert

Post by Brian Lambert »

stevemaury wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:54 am
Brian Lambert wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:43 pm OK so a "Digit" being what exactly? 1 # or something else? So would this work correctly?.. .modelrailwayforum.co.uk# Or should it be something else?

The cookie NAME, not the cookie DOMAIN. And you do not need to replace and characters - just add one at the end.
So are you saying what I've done was incorrect making it phpbb3_4xn8h instead of what ever was there before. It should become something like phpbb3_4xn8h9 ??
While I placed .modelrailwayforum.co.uk in the Cookie domain box, this morning its blank again?

New issue.... Forum members are reporting (and seeing this myself too) that they are not remaining logged in, even though the 'Remember me' box is checked. Any ideas where/what controls that in the ACP ??

Screen shot as found fist thing...
This moring.jpg
Altered to...
Corrected this morning.jpg
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Brian Lambert wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:23 am While I placed .modelrailwayforum.co.uk in the Cookie domain box, this morning its blank again?
Did you save the edits?

Brian Lambert

Post by Brian Lambert »

Yes I must have done as the Cookie domain change remains as altered.

So a question (Sorry Im trying to understand what is actually happening)..
Having altered the Cookie name again and this time adding a 9 to its end and again re entering the Cookie domain title and saving it. Will it overcome the logging out issue member's are experiencing when they leave the forum and return back to it again? Or is this due to something else?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Brian Lambert wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:43 pm I was originally advised to use www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk that was quickly corrected to remove the www and make it .modelrailwayfoum.co.uk thereby leaving the leading dot, which I've now done. That fails and requires a cookie and cache clearance to enable are log in correctly.
The cookie_domain entered in the phpBB - field should correspond to the cookie_domain your SSL certificate refers to (and that is .modelrailwayforum.co.uk).
That will allow www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk (as the url entered in the browser) to be recognised as belonging to the domain.
The cookie_name change is only required if you want that to have immediate effect (as it will force a new cookie for the domain - the old one becomes invalid - or better phpBB will not read it anymore, except for those users who have persistent cache and cookies in which case they will continue to use "old" cookies and cache until these expire). (Disclaimer - this is a simplified explanation, from a practical viewpoint, the precise programmatic theory being above my paygrade).

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”