Quote tag malformed for one user - 3.3.1

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
John-F

Quote tag malformed for one user - 3.3.1

Post by John-F »

When the ProblemUser posts, the date/time on the original post is correct. But when quoting this ProblemUser's post, the Quote tag is malformed. The date for the quote is year 1969 because the time is taken as the post_id. The time should be what is shown in the user_id, and the real user's id is not shown.

[quote="ProblemUser" post_id= time=9208 user_id=1605809065]

[quote="NormalUser" post_id=9209 time=1605809515 user_id=53]

Anyone know what is going on. This seems to affect multiple posts from this one user, and happens when different users quote this one user.

Thanks.
EA117

Re: Quote tag malformed for one user - 3.3.1

Post by EA117 »

This doesn't appear to be anything that a style could influence. e.g. Nothing in the "quote" icon's link URL itself which is expected to communicate or maintain the data used in these "smart quotes."

The phpBB extensions you have installed of course have multiple opportunities to affect this data; either by having affected the retrieved post data itself (in events like core.posting_modify_row_data), or explicitly during the generation of smart quote data (in events such as core.posting_modify_quote_attributes).

Since you see the correct data when viewing the problem user's original post before attempting to quote them, it seems unlikely that any extension "modified the data during posting, such that it's actually saved in the database row incorrectly." Seems more like an action which must be happening specifically when posting.php is invoked to quote, rather than when it was invoked to originally post.

Does it happen with the "normal quote link" you see when viewing a post, where the quote button actually opens up a new reply page and inserts the quoted text? Or does it happen when you are already in a new reply page, and are selecting the quote button(s) that appear in the "Topic Review:" list below the reply editor? (Which just inserts the quote(s) into the already-open reply page.) Or does it happen "in both cases"?

But disabling the extensions "one-by-one" or "all at once" in the phpBB ACP's Customize tab still seems like the recommendable first step. To see whether the problem behavior follows any of those extensions being disabled.

edit: Something I should have also asked: You are getting the correct quoted text when this problem occurs? Meaning it's only the user's details in the quite attributes which are wrong, but the quoted text itself is actually correct, from the correct post, and is the text that was intended to be quoted?
John-F

Post by John-F »

Thanks for the reply. We have the Simple WYSIWYG extension, which may be involved.

The original post is displayed as WYSIWYG with a normal date/time stamp.

When selecting the Quote button, a new reply window opens up also in WYSIWYG mode with the quoted post displayed. But on this reply window there is a <>Source button that toggles between WYSIWYG and unformatted showing the tags. In this view, the malformed quote tag is seen.

Not sure if I understand the other scenario you mentioned. If I open up a new reply window without first quoting, there is a Quote button but there is no way to reference the user's post at that point.

Even if that one extension or another extension is involved, it is really curious that only one user's posts are apparently affected.

ADDED: When quoting, the problem user's post is properly seen. Only the details as part of the tag seem to be problematic.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

John-F wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:36 am
Even if that one extension or another extension is involved, it is really curious that only one user's posts are apparently affected.
Agreed, as though maybe something is intentionally taking some action for this user (based on his group membership, profile details, or any other condition that might be true for them) and not for the other accounts tested. But that premise would make WYSIQIG seem like the less likely candidate too, since I'm not aware of it doing anything "user-specific".

But regardless, still seems like a scenario where the installed extensions need to be disabled as a test, since they can very well be involved in some way our imaginations just aren't able to appreciate or predict.

The other quote button I'm talking about is circled in red, in the attached screen shot of the post I'm writing right now. It's possible you don't actually have it, since I think "Topic Review:" can actually be disabled per-forum.

www.phpbb.com_community_posting.php_mode=quote&f=661&p=15627111.png
John-F

Post by John-F »

Thanks for that. We do have Topic Review with the quote button. The one message that was in topic review had nested quotes. Hitting the quote button there brought that post in, then <>Source showed these quotes:

[quote="NormalUserA" post_id=9288 time=1605834881 user_id=91]
[quote="ProblemUser" post_id= time=9234 user_id=1605815161]
[quote="NormalUserB" post_id=9233 time=1605814939 user_id=65]

If I hit the <>Source button first, then the quote button, the result was the same.

Thanks again.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

John-F wrote:
Thanks for the reply. We have the Simple WYSIWYG extension, which may be involved.
The obvious question is does it go way if you disable editor? If it does this discussion belongs in the extensions discussion area. Unfortunately it's not possible to move this topic there so you would have to start new one and you can reference this topic.

Just taking a stab at this, does the problem user have any special characters in their name? Space, comma etc?
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
John-F

Post by John-F »

thecoalman wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:05 am
John-F wrote:
The obvious question is does it go way if you disable editor? If it does this discussion belongs in the extensions discussion area. Unfortunately it's not possible to move this topic there so you would have to start new one and you can reference this topic.

Just taking a stab at this, does the problem user have any special characters in their name? Space, comma etc?
I did not disable the editor, but found the issue is with a space in the user's name. Their name is two words. We do have a few users also with two words, the same problem exists with them.

I have a separate test forum and experimented there. I created a user there with two words, with the same problem. If I replaced the space with a hyphen, the problem went away. Replacing the hyphen back with a space and the problem recurs. Experimenting back and forth can be done with an existing post. That indicates the problem only occurs with the post is quoted.

Also, on my test forum, I disabled the Simple WYSIWYG Editor, and the problem goes away. I had previously found another problem with that extension and posted it in the extension's area. At the time, I emailed the developer asking him if he was still supporting the extension. He replied back that he had no time. It was tested only through 3.2.x, so I realized I was using it with some risk, but I found no other extension, and it provides functionality our forum users need.

I could start another topic in the extension area, but I noticed subsequent topics after mine have not been responded to. If there were an alternate extension, I would be very interested. In addition to other issue I posted there, the extension inserts blank lines each time a post is edited or quoted, so it becomes annoying.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

John-F wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:56 pm
Also, on my test forum, I disabled the Simple WYSIWYG Editor, and the problem goes away.
Thanks for the confirmation. That's interesting info, that is is indeed specific to Simple WYSIWYG, as well as specific to having a space in the name.

You may have also noticed that another user had already reported exactly this issue. And their workaround was to add Javascript to fix-up the HTML page content before allowing Simple WYSIWYG's editor to begin parsing it, so that Simple WYSIWYG simply never encounters a quoted username with a space in it.
John-F

Post by John-F »

Thanks very much for that link. I generally prefer avoiding code changes if at all possible because it makes things more complicated with updating forum software or extensions.

I do wish someone would coordinate with the extension developer to take it over or create an alternative. I should probably make that request in the extensions request area, but I'll have to study the protocol for posting there because I think the rules there are very strictly enforced.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”