[SPLIT] Upgating with modified files

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Edson Quadros
Name: Edson Quadros

[SPLIT] Upgating with modified files

Post by Edson Quadros »

Can someone help me with a question? I will update from 331 to 332 manually by copying only the modified files, because I have several changes in my 331 version. Is there any change in the database structure or is it the same?
Thank you very much
Last edited by HiFiKabin on Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry my English
Mike-on-Tour
Name: Michael

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.3.2 Release

Post by Mike-on-Tour »

There is also a migration of the database involved so you need to upload in addition the install folder and run the database update as it is described in the KB article for the manual, full package update
Watz fo lunch?
If you like my extensions and maybe want to buy me lunch: Image
Edson Quadros

Post by Edson Quadros »

Ok. thanks for the quick response. I will interact with this procedure.
Sorry my English
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Edson Quadros wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:05 pm
Can someone help me with a question? I will update from 331 to 332 manually by copying only the modified files, because I have several changes in my 331 version. Is there any change in the database structure or is it the same?
Thank you very much
what type of modifications? if you are talking about modfying the style files then you can just use the full package method of updating and then update your custom style files manually.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:12 pm
what type of modifications? if you are talking about modfying the style files then you can just use the full package method of updating and then update your custom style files manually.
Actually the changed Files package probably reduces the number of edits to transfer, as some of the locally edited files may not have changed between 3.3.1 and 3.3.2.
example: Let's accept for the moment that Edson Quadros has customised the file /styles/prosilver/overall_header.html in his phpBB 3.3.1

Looking at phpBB-3.3.1_to_3.3.2.zip which is contained in phpBB-3.3.2-files.zip, that overall_header.html is NOT part of the Changed Files package and was therefore not changed by the update. In other words, there's no need to re-edit that particular 3.3.2 file as the 3.3.1 file in use already on the live board has the necessary edits (and wouldn't be overwritten anyway as the Changed files package doesn't contain it).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

thanks, however, that doesn't seem to be relevant here.

if the styles are the only thing he modified but he used the auto update or the changed files method, it is possible that
at some point in the process all the changed files did not get updated replaced.
therefore, replacing them now would solve that problem and he can go ahead and do any style edits that are needed etc.

robret
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:40 pm
thanks, however, that doesn't seem to be relevant here.

if the styles are the only thing he modified but he used the auto update or the changed files method, it is possible that
at some point in the process all the changed files did not get updated replaced.
I think it is relevant, since the autoupdate will try to automatically compare all files and try to create an edited-files package, whereas using the Full Package or Changed files package, it's the board founder who decides which files to upload (preferably only the changed files (which where already edited in the from-version).
It's the system I use all the time to reduce the workload. (because only files in the Changed files-package that had custom edits, need to be re-edited.

edited: reformulated this (as the way I first wrote it, even confused me ;-) )
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Edson Quadros

Re: [SPLIT] Upgating with modified files

Post by Edson Quadros »

I thank everyone for their interest and help. The changes I made were at the code level in some .php files and also in some temlates and I have them all noted to make again after the update. Some that I did listed below. I know this is not a good practice and the ideal would be to develop extensions for these changes, but I am still new to understanding phpBB and at the moment it was what solved my needs.
I thank you all again.

viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2573356
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... 26#p778926
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... pic/225006
Sorry my English
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: [SPLIT] Upgating with modified files

Post by thecoalman »

I keep a list of files of I have modified, be sure to comment every edit so you know why it was edited. I upgrade using the following method.

• Local copy of forum files, for the purposes of this you can leave out the files and avatar directory.
  • Download the changed files package, optionally you can download full package.
  • Using Winmerge compare local files directory to changed files directory. This will compare all files and there will obviously be a whole lot of missing files if you are using changed files package. If you are using full package this will help you identify obsolete files as they will be missing.
  • Go through your list of edited files and open each one to merge custom edits into downloaded files.
  • Upload the new files....
Couple of notes, winmerge will allow you to compare three sets of files. It can be helpful to compare the original files of the current version you are using, your edited files and the new files. If for example you made edit to fix bug or whatever you don't want to merge it it into new files if it's fixed. Comparing the three versions can help you identify that.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”