Installation problem on my Fatcow Hosting

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
haider.raza

Installation problem on my Fatcow Hosting

Post by haider.raza »

Hi,

Previously I installed phpBB on one of my domains through 1 click installer. Now I need to install on one new domain that is hosted on Fatcow.
This hosting provider has no 1 click installer, and I have to install the script manually.

My website is https://www.thedailynewstimes.com/ and in the root folder of my site, I created another folder /community.

I downloaded the zip file 3.3.2 and uploaded in the /community folder.

Then from the zip archive option available on the hosting account, I unzip that folder in the same directory i.e /community

But now, I don't know what to do next.

When I try to access https://www.thedailynewstimes.com/community I get this error:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /community/ on this server.

It is 403 Forbidden on the tab... What should I do to install it manually on my domain?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Installation problem on my Fatcow Hosting

Post by warmweer »

haider.raza wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:21 pm
It is 403 Forbidden on the tab... What should I do to install it manually on my domain?
You shouldn't use a one-click installer anyway. (sooner rather than later these give problems)

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... uickstart/

In a nutshell:
Unzip the phpBB332.zip on your computer, keeping the directory structure.
Copy the whole phpBB3 folder (FTP) to your root directory: so you will have root/phpBB3/ containing all the phpBB directories and files.
Make a database that you will user for your board, note the data you will need to install (db_name, user, password etc: see the documentation).
in the browser, navigate to yourdomain/phpBB3/install and follow the instructions on the screen.

If you want to use /community as you board directory, then copy the contents of the phpBB3 directory (the one you unzipped) to /community (and then navigate to yourdomain/community/install.

Just read through the installation instructions (link I posted) before starting!
haider.raza

Post by haider.raza »

warmweer wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:35 pm
Just read through the installation instructions (link I posted) before starting!
Thank you... I have successfully installed the script. :)
Attachments
phpbb.PNG
haider.raza

Post by haider.raza »

Do I need to remove the installation file or any other file now? Or do I need to change the directory permissions?
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

If it states to remove it, remove it. Don't make it harder than it already is. ;)
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

haider.raza wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:07 pm
Do I need to remove the installation file or any other file now? Or do I need to change the directory permissions?
You need to remove (or rename) the Install directory in order to make your board accessible to the public. However, take your time to become familiar with the ACP and the settings first if you want to set up basic permissions first.
Only change the directory permissions if they are not set properly: see https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... rmissions/
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
haider.raza

Post by haider.raza »

Ok thank you.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”