Upgrade failure: 3.2.2 to 3.3.2

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Charles L. Cotton

Upgrade failure: 3.2.2 to 3.3.2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.2
What is your board's URL? www.TexasCHLforum.com
Who do you host your board with? Virtbiz
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0-B1
What extensions do you have installed? I don't recall, other than top five posts.
What styles do you currently have installed? Prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? New to PHP but not phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Tried to upgrade from 3.2.2 to 3.3.2.
Please describe your problem. I backed up the database and files, downloaded the automatic update package for 3.2.2 to 3.3.2 and followed the instructions. I went to the /install and executed the update procedure. The files were examined, deleted files were identified, but the procedure stopped. When going to the webpage, it is blank.

I later learned that my site was running php 7.2 that is incompatible with the latest version of phpBB. Php was upgraded to 7.4. I uploaded my backup files and tried the update procedure again. (The upgrade procedure never got to the database update, so the database was not restored.) This time the changed files were downloaded, unzipped and uploaded to the appropriate folders and sub-folders. I started the update procedure again and outdated/deleted files were again identified. However, the "Continue update process" remains grayed out regardless how many times I run "Check files again." When going to the webpage, it is still a blank page.

I repeated uploading the changed files to make sure I didn't miss one or more files. This made no difference. The update procedure identifies files to be deleted, but the "Continue update process" remains grayed out.

I don't know what to try next.

Thanks,
Chas.
Generated by SRT Generator
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Upgrade failure: 3.2.2 to 3.3.2

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

try again using the correct upgrade method found here:
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade32/

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Charles L. Cotton

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:17 pm
try again using the correct upgrade method found here:
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade32/

luck,
robert
Thanks, but that didn't work. After following all of the instructions, I get an error message "The file differ failed to open Array." It then lists dozens of files that failed to open stream. It appears they were the deleted files. I can't get to the database update until the file update procedure is complete and that's not working.

Chas.
Lumpy Burgertushie

if you are following those instructions you will not get the file differ message because there is no file differ function.

or, you have some leftover autoupdate files in the folder named store.
delete any io lock and/or migration and/or config type files you find in that folder named store.
then try again.

robert

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:23 pm
if you are following those instructions you will not get the file differ message because there is no file differ function.
The problem is that the instructions regarding leftovers from previously failed update/grade attempts aren't exactly in plain sight
Anyway: Lumpy's diagnosis is probably spot on.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Lumpy Burgertushie

warmweer wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:28 pm
The problem is that the instructions regarding leftovers from previously failed update/grade attempts aren't exactly in plain sight
and even those are not complete. it should contain the info about the migration files as well.

robert

invenio

Post by invenio »

Is there any reason why those file deletions are not more prominent (ie in the actual steps for updates)? They were previously when the update guide was in the knowledge base and not the documentation section of the site. I have some of those leftover files after every update (and I've done half a dozen of them over the years). I now know to delete those first but how would a first time user know this? Not sure who writes the documentation but they really need to update that to be more clear (and also include the migration files as well).
Charles L. Cotton

warmweer wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:28 pm
Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:23 pm
Thanks to everyone who chipped in. Deleting two files from the /store directory fixed the problem.

Based upon the update procedure, it appears that the backend is fine, however, I still have the display problem. Going to the URL just renders a blank page. I may have caused this problem during one of my many attempts to load a backup. My ftp program timed out and when I logged back in, I forgot to go to the public_html folder before restarting the upload. (I'm using cPanel.) When I realized what I had done, I stopped the ftp upload and deleted the files I thought I had placed in the wrong folder. I suspect I may have deleted something that is required for the page to render properly. Now I get to track this down. :oops:

Thanks again for everyone's help!!
Chas.
Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:59 pm
Thanks to everyone who chipped in. Deleting two files from the /store directory fixed the problem.

Based upon the update procedure, it appears that the backend is fine, however, I still have the display problem. Going to the URL just renders a blank page. I may have caused this problem during one of my many attempts to load a backup. My ftp program timed out and when I logged back in, I forgot to go to the public_html folder before restarting the upload. (I'm using cPanel.) When I realized what I had done, I stopped the ftp upload and deleted the files I thought I had placed in the wrong folder. I suspect I may have deleted something that is required for the page to render properly. Now I get to track this down. :oops:

Thanks again for everyone's help!!
Chas.
UPDATE: I looked at the config file to see if that could be the problem with the blank page when going to www.TexasCHLforum.com. The config file has a notation that it was generated by phpBB3 and not to make any changes. The database name and user name are correct, but the database password is not what I used to set up the database.

I would think this is the problem, but the warning not to change anything makes me reluctant to change the DB password.

Chas.
Lumpy Burgertushie

the blank page usually means a php error somewhere. the only way to find out what that is is to check the server error log file.

it will either be in your cpanel logs/errors section or you might have a file named errors in the public_html directory on the server.

copy and paste the newest 25 or so lines from that error log here so we can help you with whatever the problem is.

or, you can simply reupload all new files again except for the config.php file in the board root.
then go to the install page and run the database update if you have not done that already.
that should solve the problem of missing files if there are any.

robert

Charles L. Cotton

I've been out of town and just got back home. Thanks again for you help.

I found a file in the /logs folder in the root. It has a file named texaschlforum_com.php.error.log. Is this the file you referenced?

The first several dozen lines do not appear to be the type of information you need. I scrolled past those entries and copied the next 25. I did leave one of the first type of entries as an example.

Thanks,
Chas.

[13-Nov-2020 23:17:18 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
[15-Nov-2020 00:04:58 UTC] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/texaschl/public_html/cron.php:33) in /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 1955
[15-Nov-2020 01:17:48 UTC] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php:3268) in /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 4517
[15-Nov-2020 01:17:48 UTC] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php:3268) in /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 4517
[15-Nov-2020 02:05:48 UTC] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/texaschl/public_html/cron.php:33) in /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 1955
[15-Nov-2020 04:05:50 UTC] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/texaschl/public_html/cron.php:33) in /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 1955
[15-Nov-2020 06:10:35 UTC] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/texaschl/public_html/cron.php:33) in /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 1955
[15-Nov-2020 08:11:16 UTC] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/texaschl/public_html/cron.php:33) in /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 1955
[15-Nov-2020 10:13:25 UTC] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/texaschl/public_html/cron.php:33) in /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 1955
[15-Nov-2020 12:18:21 UTC] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/texaschl/public_html/cron.php:33) in /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 1955
[15-Nov-2020 14:22:18 UTC] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/texaschl/public_html/cron.php:33) in /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 1955
[15-Nov-2020 16:23:28 UTC] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/texaschl/public_html/cron.php:33) in /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 1955
[16-Nov-2020 05:30:24 UTC] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/texaschl/public_html/cron.php:33) in /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 1955
[16-Nov-2020 07:31:06 UTC] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/texaschl/public_html/cron.php:33) in /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 1955
[16-Nov-2020 09:41:23 UTC] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/texaschl/public_html/cron.php:33) in /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 1955
[16-Nov-2020 11:42:44 UTC] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/texaschl/public_html/cron.php:33) in /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 1955
[16-Nov-2020 13:44:03 UTC] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/texaschl/public_html/cron.php:33) in /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 1955
[16-Nov-2020 15:44:34 UTC] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/texaschl/public_html/cron.php:33) in /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 1955
[16-Nov-2020 17:44:41 UTC] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/texaschl/public_html/cron.php:33) in /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 1955
[16-Nov-2020 19:44:59 UTC] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/texaschl/public_html/cron.php:33) in /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 1955
[16-Nov-2020 21:09:01 UTC] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php:3268) in /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 4517
[16-Nov-2020 21:09:01 UTC] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php:3268) in /home/texaschl/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 4517
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

This errors are from November, isn't there something from today?
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
Charles L. Cotton

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:07 pm
This errors are from November, isn't there something from today?
I didn't catch that. Here are the latest:

#1 /home/texaschl/public_html/vendor/symfony/config/Loader/FileLoader.php(90): Symfony\Component\Config\Loader\FileLoader->doImport('phpbb_pages_new...', 'phpbb_pages_rou...', false, 'ext/phpbb/pages...')
#2 /home/texaschl/public_html/vendor/symfony/routing/Loader/YamlFileLoader.php(161): Symfony\Component\Config\Loader\FileLoader->import('phpbb_pages_new...', 'phpbb_pages_rou...', false, 'ext/phpbb/pages...')
#3 /home/texaschl/public_html/vendor/symfony/routing/Loader/YamlFileLoader.php(91): Symfony\Component\Routing\Loader\YamlFileLoader->parseImport(Object(Symfony\Com in /home/texaschl/public_html/vendor/symfony/config/Loader/Loader.php on line 73
[08-Jan-2021 21:30:12 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Symfony\Component\Config\Exception\FileLoaderLoadException: Cannot load resource "phpbb_pages_new_controller". Make sure there is a loader supporting the "phpbb_pages_route" type. in /home/texaschl/public_html/vendor/symfony/config/Loader/Loader.php:73
Stack trace:
#0 /home/texaschl/public_html/vendor/symfony/config/Loader/FileLoader.php(133): Symfony\Component\Config\Loader\Loader->resolve('phpbb_pages_new...', 'phpbb_pages_rou...')
#1 /home/texaschl/public_html/vendor/symfony/config/Loader/FileLoader.php(90): Symfony\Component\Config\Loader\FileLoader->doImport('phpbb_pages_new...', 'phpbb_pages_rou...', false, 'ext/phpbb/pages...')
#2 /home/texaschl/public_html/vendor/symfony/routing/Loader/YamlFileLoader.php(161): Symfony\Component\Config\Loader\FileLoader->import('phpbb_pages_new...', 'phpbb_pages_rou...', false, 'ext/phpbb/pages...')
#3 /home/texaschl/public_html/vendor/symfony/routing/Loader/YamlFileLoader.php(91): Symfony\Component\Routing\Loader\YamlFileLoader->parseImport(Object(Symfony\Com in /home/texaschl/public_html/vendor/symfony/config/Loader/Loader.php on line 73
[08-Jan-2021 21:30:13 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Symfony\Component\Config\Exception\FileLoaderLoadException: Cannot load resource "phpbb_pages_new_controller". Make sure there is a loader supporting the "phpbb_pages_route" type. in /home/texaschl/public_html/vendor/symfony/config/Loader/Loader.php:73
Stack trace:
#0 /home/texaschl/public_html/vendor/symfony/config/Loader/FileLoader.php(133): Symfony\Component\Config\Loader\Loader->resolve('phpbb_pages_new...', 'phpbb_pages_rou...')
[08-Jan-2021 21:30:13 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Symfony\Component\Config\Exception\FileLoaderLoadException: Cannot load resource "phpbb_pages_new_controller". Make sure there is a loader supporting the "phpbb_pages_route" type. in /home/texaschl/public_html/vendor/symfony/config/Loader/Loader.php:73
Stack trace:
Stack trace:
[08-Jan-2021 21:30:16 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Symfony\Component\Config\Exception\FileLoaderLoadException: Cannot load resource "phpbb_pages_new_controller". Make sure there is a loader supporting the "phpbb_pages_route" type. in /home/texaschl/public_html/vendor/symfony/config/Loader/Loader.php:73
Stack trace:
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Did you remove the old vendor folder before you upload the new one?
Are you sure you upload all the files from the vendor folder?

Try to upload the vendor folder again and purge the cache afterwards.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
Lumpy Burgertushie

yes, according to the instructions you should have removed all the old files/folders before you uploaded the new ones. except for the one file named config.php and the folders named files, ext, images and store.
all the rest should have been removed.

looks like you may not have removed the vendor folder.

robert

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”