Upgrade failure: 3.2.2 to 3.3.2

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Upgrade failure: 3.2.2 to 3.3.2

Post by stevemaury »

invenio wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:12 pm
Is there any reason why those file deletions are not more prominent (ie in the actual steps for updates)? They were previously when the update guide was in the knowledge base and not the documentation section of the site. I have some of those leftover files after every update (and I've done half a dozen of them over the years). I now know to delete those first but how would a first time user know this? Not sure who writes the documentation but they really need to update that to be more clear (and also include the migration files as well).
phpBB is an open source software project, created and maintained by its community of users. If you believe you have improvements to the documentation, please feel free to submit them. If you wish, you can PM them to me and I will review them and incorporate them if appropriate.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
invenio

Post by invenio »

stevemaury wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:46 pm
invenio wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:12 pm
Is there any reason why those file deletions are not more prominent (ie in the actual steps for updates)? They were previously when the update guide was in the knowledge base and not the documentation section of the site. I have some of those leftover files after every update (and I've done half a dozen of them over the years). I now know to delete those first but how would a first time user know this? Not sure who writes the documentation but they really need to update that to be more clear (and also include the migration files as well).
phpBB is an open source software project, created and maintained by its community of users. If you believe you have improvements to the documentation, please feel free to submit them. If you wish, you can PM them to me and I will review them and incorporate them if appropriate.
PM sent.
Charles L. Cotton

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:12 pm
yes, according to the instructions you should have removed all the old files/folders before you uploaded the new ones. except for the one file named config.php and the folders named files, ext, images and store.
all the rest should have been removed.

looks like you may not have removed the vendor folder.

robert
I'm certain I removed everything the instructions indicated to remove. However, I'll delete the vendor folder and upload it again. BTW, the date on the vendor folder and its contents is 12/31/2020, the same date as everything else.

Thanks,
Chas.
Charles L. Cotton

I deleted the vendor folder and uploaded it again. The page is still blank.

I still think it may be the password in the config file. The config file has a notation that it was generated by phpBB3 and not to make any changes. The database name and user name are correct, but the database password is not what I used to set up the database. It's obviously a machine-generated password and I always set my own passwords. I would think this is the problem, but the warning not to change anything makes me reluctant to change the DB password.

Chas.
invenio

Post by invenio »

I would probably make sure that the correct password is being used prior to proceeding with any further steps. You should be able to access the actual database via your host control panel.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

don't worry about editing the password in the config file. if it is wrong then change it to the correct one and see what happens. as always, make a backup before you edit any files.
oh, after you make the changes, be sure to delete everything from the cache folder except for the index and htaccess files.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Charles L. Cotton

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:26 pm
don't worry about editing the password in the config file. if it is wrong then change it to the correct one and see what happens. as always, make a backup before you edit any files.
oh, after you make the changes, be sure to delete everything from the cache folder except for the index and htaccess files.

robert
I did all this and still nothing. I sent you a PM.

Chas.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

The errors in viewtopic.php?p=15653356#p15653356 point at towards the phpBB/pages extension.
The version you are currently using is 2.0.3.

I suggest you
  • disable your board
  • delete everything for /cache except for index.htm and .htaccess
  • replace pages 2.0.3 with 2.0.4
  • Delete your browser cache
  • Enable your board and login.
If that doesn't work/gives errors: try disabling all extensions at once (see the Knowledge Base)

If that still doesn't help post the newest entries in the error.log
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Charles L. Cotton

Thanks again for everyone's help folks. I was able to get most of the problems fixed with your suggestions, but not the blank page issue. Lumpy came to our rescue and our Forum is no up again.

Chas.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”