image size attachment too large!

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
dent11

image size attachment too large!

Post by dent11 »

Hi,
if i attach a photo here it looks fine!
image_processing20181012-4-f2dnf3.jpg
the photos witch i attach in my forum, are very large and i can not click on them and make them look bigger like here.
What should I do to look like the one I attached?
EA117

Re: image size attachment too large!

Post by EA117 »

The behavior you're describing occurs because of the thumbnail settings in phpBB. If the image is within the maximum dimensions set for thumbnails, or if thumbnails aren't enabled, then the image is displayed as-is. ("very large, and cannot make it bigger")

When enabled, if the image is taller or wider than the maximum thumbnail setting, or is taller or wider than 400px if no other maximum has been set, then a thumbnail image is generated and that is what you first see when viewing the attachment. Clicking on the image then shows the full non-thumbnail version of the image. (The behavior you're seeing here on phpBB.com/community.)

The behavior you're describing on your board sounds most likely that thumbnail generation is simply disabled. Or if it is enabled, then the "Maximum thumbnail width/height in pixel" in the phpBB ACP Attachment Settings must be larger than you really want it to be.

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3.3/ug/adminguide/attach_settings/
dent11

Post by dent11 »

Yes. The thumbnail generation was disabled.
I turned it to enable, but still existing photos were the same.
I tried to attach the photos again and its ok now! Thanks!
EA117

Post by EA117 »

dent11 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:14 am
I turned it to enable, but still existing photos were the same.
Glad you have it sorted. Agreed that changing this setting only affects future uploads, because all of this work is done during the upload itself.

Although if you were to have the need in the future to "regenerate all attachments based on my new thumbnail settings", there is a script out there for doing that. It's the one attached and being discussed here; although as you can see, there is a lot of context to the discussion.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”