Intermittent errors on cPanel installation

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
doggonemess

Intermittent errors on cPanel installation

Post by doggonemess »

Greetings,

I installed phpBB using cPanel provided by inmotion hosting. It was handled by Softaculous and reported that it installed properly. I keep getting intermittent errors. It mostly seems to happen when I try to post a new topic. Sometimes it just happens when visiting parts of the admin panel. The error coming back (which isn't always logged) is:

You have requested a non-existent service "profilefields.type.googleplus"

From what I've seen, this usually happens when someone is using an outdated version of phpBB. I have a fresh installation of 3.3.2. The Inmotion tech support doesn't seem to be able to fix it. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!
Jamie
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Intermittent errors on cPanel installation

Post by Brf »

We do not support host installs, such as Softaculous. You should be using the installer downloaded from here.
doggonemess

Post by doggonemess »

I suspect that could be the problem here. I'll try doing the install manually and get back to you.

Thanks for the very fast response!
Jamie
EA117

Post by EA117 »

doggonemess wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:36 pm
You have requested a non-existent service "profilefields.type.googleplus"
Did you also happen to install any extensions after the successful phpBB 3.3.2 installation?

phpBB 3.3.2 itself is fully aware that the Google+ profile field has been removed ever since phpBB 3.3.1. But extensions which have not yet been updated to "phpBB 3.3.1 and later" compatibility could still be assuming that the field should exist, and could also result in this kind of message.

I agree that if all that has been done is to use Softaculous to install phpBB 3.3.2, without updating from an older version or adding any extensions, then it sounds like the Softaculous installation itself is suspect.
doggonemess

Post by doggonemess »

I did not install any extensions. I went right from the install process to the placeholder forum to test adding a new topic.

I just did a full manual reinstall and I'm getting the same errors when trying to post and sometimes when trying to view a topic. I'm still trying to get my error log so I can what it is saying now, but for some reason, the logs are blank. It's probably the php.ini editor messing things up. I'm working with Inmotion Hosting to get my errors to log properly now.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

fwhen you did your manual install, did you completely remove all the existing files and folders?
did you start with a fresh database?

that is what you need to do. It looks like the host install is a mess if it is showing the current version but
still having things that were removed from phpbb several versions ago.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
doggonemess

Post by doggonemess »

I did do a clean install - removed all directories and created a new database with no tables.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Backup the profiles table and then delete that field from the table.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
doggonemess

Post by doggonemess »

The google plus profile isn't in the table. But now I suspect that the error is related to something else. I can't actually tell because the errors are not appearing in my error log file. They appear for everything else, just not phpBB errors.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”