How can I tell what MySQL version I'm running?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Bruce Banner

How can I tell what MySQL version I'm running?

Post by Bruce Banner »

I have an extension that says it needs version 4.1 or later to function correctly. How can I tell whether I have 4.1 or later? I tried the advice from here

https://serverguy.com/servers/check-mysql-version/#3

and looked in the Database server box in phpMyAdmin but couldn't find anything that said MySQL. In the Web server box, it says

Database client version: libmysql - 5.6.43

I hope that's it but that page I linked to said the info would be in the Database server box.
P_I

Re: How can I tell what MySQL version I'm running?

Post by P_I »

Bruce Banner wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:36 pm
I have an extension that says it needs version 4.1 or later to function correctly. How can I tell whether I have 4.1 or later?
Look on the ACP->General page in the Statistics area, there is a field Database server: that indicates the version.

Once you log in, phpMyAdmin's main panel should also have a section "Database server" showing all the details, including Server type and Server version.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Bruce Banner

Post by Bruce Banner »

P_I wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:07 pm
Look on the ACP->General page in the Statistics area, there is a field Database server: that indicates the version.

Once you log in, phpMyAdmin's main panel should also have a section "Database server" showing all the details, including Server type and Server version.
Great, thanks! :mrgreen: I have 10.3.25 according to that.
Bruce Banner

Post by Bruce Banner »

P_I wrote:
EDIT: Just noticed this edit now. Doesn't make sense, though, because I'd already said in the original post that I'd looked in the Database server section of phpMyAdmin and didn't see a reference to MySQL.
P_I

Post by P_I »

Bruce Banner wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:42 pm
P_I wrote:
EDIT: Just noticed this edit now. Doesn't make sense, though, because I'd already said in the original post that I'd looked in the Database server section of phpMyAdmin and didn't see a reference to MySQL.
I must admit I checked on my localhost testing environment and the Database server section definitely has the information. Perhaps on a hosting service version of phpMyAdmin they don't display that information. I haven't checked mine, so I'm only guessing that's why you might not see the information.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Bruce Banner

Post by Bruce Banner »

EDIT: So when I said "according to that", I meant the statistics area of the general tab of the ACP. god, why can't I just edit my posts instead of having to make multiple ones to make corrections?!
Bruce Banner

Post by Bruce Banner »

P_I wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:46 pm
I must admit I checked on my localhost testing environment and the Database server section definitely has the information. Perhaps on a hosting service version of phpMyAdmin they don't display that information. I haven't checked mine, so I'm only guessing that's why you might not see the information.
It is a hosting service version, yeah. It's still just very odd, though, how you mentioned the Database server section of phpMyAdmin like you were telling me it existed as if I didn't already know, when I'd said in the original post that I'd already looked there. That just doesn't make sense.
david63

Post by david63 »

The part of this that is confusing me is
Bruce Banner wrote:
I have an extension that says it needs version 4.1 or later to function correctly.
as that version was EOL over ten years ago which is long before phpBB extensions existed. Also phpBB extensions are, and cannot be, database specific.

Perhaps a link to this extension might help clarify the situation.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Bruce Banner

Post by Bruce Banner »

david63 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:17 am
The part of this that is confusing me is
Bruce Banner wrote:
I have an extension that says it needs version 4.1 or later to function correctly.
as that version was EOL over ten years ago which is long before phpBB extensions existed. Also phpBB extensions are, and cannot be, database specific.

Perhaps a link to this extension might help clarify the situation.
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... r_posts_2/

If you install that extension, then click on the extensions tab in the ACP, look for that extension on the left and click "Update counters", it'll say near the top of the screen,

Important: To work correctly, the refresh counters function needs MySQL version 4.1 or later!

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”