Database cleanup tools?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
maxrpg

Database cleanup tools?

Post by maxrpg »

Hi,

I've been running my site for nearly 12 years now and over the years the database has had fields and tables added for loads of mods. Mods which were removed many moons ago but left their database changes behind.

There used to be a tool that did a database clean-up and removed all the junk fields and tables, does this still exist? - if so, does it work on a 3.3.3 install?

I just want to get rid of all the unnecessary rubbish in the database that has accumulated over the years.

Thank you.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Database cleanup tools?

Post by Mick »

The STK still exists but it only works with 3.0. However, there’s a third party tool that works with later versions by 3Di I think but may be wrong, if I can find it I’ll post back otherwise I expect someone will.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

Mick wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:01 pm The STK still exists but it only works with 3.0. However, there’s a third party tool that works with later versions by 3Di I think but may be wrong, if I can find it I’ll post back otherwise I expect someone will.
From another topic
ssl wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:16 am Hi
The version 1.0.17-dev of STK is OK with 7.4 version of php
With 8.0.1 version is not the same: https://github.com/AlexSheer/phpBB3.2-STK/issues/55
i.e. AlexSheer/phpBB3.2-STK: Support ToolKit For phpBB3.2.x
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

maxrpg wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:10 pm I've been running my site for nearly 12 years now and over the years the database has had fields and tables added for loads of mods. Mods which were removed many moons ago but left their database changes behind.
If you board version is 3.0.x then using the Support ToolKit is advised absolutely necessary.
After that, I'ld update to 3.0.14, then to 3.1.12, followed by 3.2.11, and then 3.3.3
The 3.0.14 to 3.1.12 will take some time, and 3.1.12 to 3.2.11 also.
I usually test those in-betweens and take a database backup to avoid having to redo those should something go wrong later.

Added:
Actually, EA117 in another post reminded me of the existence of CLI.
After cleaning your database (STK) (+ take a db-backup), you could try the CLI approach which could avoid the need for upgrading in steps
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”