Debug text appears and messes up logins / ACP access.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
12stringbassist

Debug text appears and messes up logins / ACP access.

Post by 12stringbassist »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.3.3
What is your board's URL? http://ccgi.crazeeworld.plus.com/slade/
Who do you host your board with? PlusNet
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.3.2
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver, most recent version of Nosebleed
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP but not phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? The issue became noticeable in the last week. I thought the upgrade may sort it
Please describe your problem. Following text appears at the top of the page and either prevents logins, or my access to ACP. I may get in after several refreshes and attempts.
Thanks for your advice on this.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 86: htmlspecialchars(): charset `' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 151: htmlspecialchars(): charset `' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 152: htmlspecialchars(): charset `' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/user.php on line 329: htmlspecialchars(): charset `' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4130: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3009)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4130: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3009)
Generated by SRT Generator

david63

Re: Debug text appears and messes up logins / ACP access.

Post by david63 »

Possibly same/similar issue as this - viewtopic.php?f=661&t=2583461
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
12stringbassist

I have just tried inserting a php.ini file as described in the root folder of the forum.
I will see how that goes. Thanks.
12stringbassist

The bug text still appears, but possibly slightly less often.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Instead of the above fake php.ini file try this change: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/6138/files

And purge your cache after an update if not already done.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
12stringbassist

Thanks very much for that.
I have done as suggested (Rewrote on the acp_main.php, keeping a re-named original just in case and removed the ini file) and it looks good. I will report back if any more issues.
12stringbassist

It's still happening at the login screen.

Doing refreshes seems to get rid of it, but if I go to the ACP, I get this lot:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 86: htmlspecialchars(): charset `ReCaptcha/RequestMethod/CurlPost' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 151: htmlspecialchars(): charset `ReCaptcha/RequestMethod/CurlPost' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 152: htmlspecialchars(): charset `ReCaptcha/RequestMethod/CurlPost' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/user.php on line 329: htmlspecialchars(): charset `ReCaptcha/RequestMethod/CurlPost' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 1795: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3009)
EA117

Post by EA117 »

3Di wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:12 am
Instead of the above fake php.ini file try this change: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/6138/files
I get the indirect relationship, but that's not really their problem, correct? This PR fixes the test employed behind phpBB's new warning in the ACP. The fixed code now behaves more robustly in the face of various PHP charset configurations which effectively "also mean UTF-8 will be used", so that the new phpBB ACP message has less false-positives for being displayed.

None of that affects the actual charset being used during actual PHP code execution. Only "will the warning be displayed in the phpBB ACP." OP isn't in the ACP nor seeing this new phpBB 3.3.3 ACP warning.

12stringbassist wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:01 am
The bug text still appears, but possibly slightly less often.
That original message of:

Code: Select all

[ROOT]/phpbb/user.php on line 329: htmlspecialchars(): charset `' not supported, assuming utf-8
certainly looked like "maybe PHP's default_charset is set to a blank string." But the second example of:

[ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 86: htmlspecialchars(): charset `ReCaptcha/RequestMethod/CurlPost' not supported, assuming utf-8
is inexplicably as though the incorrect parameters are being passed by phpBB code to PHP's htmlspecialchars().

Did you happen to use phpBB's automatic update method when updating to phpBB 3.3.2 where you originally saw the issue? As opposed to using the "Full Package" download, first in the list at https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3.3/ug/upgradeguide/minor/?

Just asking since the automatic update examines and "merges" any changes you might have in your existing .PHP files, but can lead to mis-merged and "unexpectedly corrupt" files. Which is a possible explanation for why a wrong string is being passed as the PHP charset string in these errors.

Since otherwise, neither of the call sites mentioned in these errors appear prone to having specified the optional encoding parameter:

(session.php line 86) $page_name = urlencode(htmlspecialchars($page_name));
(user.php line 329) $this->style[$key] = htmlspecialchars($this->style[$key]);

If phpBB's Automatic Update was used, then using the Full Package steps now could overwrite all phpBB files with known-good versions. If the Full Package approach is already what you used, then we may be looking for some kind of more subtle issue, which hasn't been identified yet.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

It might have nothing to do with the issue of this topic but still:
The cfg of your version of Nosebleed mention: for phpBB 3.3.2
I realise that this Nosebleed style by Mike Lothar was ported to phpBB3.3 by Ian Bradley but if it was ported to phpBB 3.3.2 then you'll need to port the style changes for 3.3.3.
Did you test with prosilver?
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
12stringbassist

I will have a go at removing Nosebleed totally to see if that helps.
Thanks.
12stringbassist

Nosebleed removed now.

I still get this intermittently...

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 86: htmlspecialchars(): charset `' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 151: htmlspecialchars(): charset `' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 152: htmlspecialchars(): charset `' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/user.php on line 329: htmlspecialchars(): charset `' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 914: htmlspecialchars(): charset `' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 915: htmlspecialchars(): charset `' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 916: htmlspecialchars(): charset `' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 914: htmlspecialchars(): charset `' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 915: htmlspecialchars(): charset `' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 916: htmlspecialchars(): charset `' not supported, assuming utf-8

Switching between home and index pages, this came up:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 86: htmlspecialchars(): charset `tream' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 151: htmlspecialchars(): charset `tream' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 152: htmlspecialchars(): charset `tream' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/user.php on line 329: htmlspecialchars(): charset `tream' not supported, assuming utf-8
12stringbassist

@EA117

Thanks.

EDIT

A search found this viewtopic.php?t=1603125
So I am going to have a bash at that.
12stringbassist

I've got the forum overwritten as per the post above.
Just running prosilver.

It glitches intermittently in the ACP on the posting page:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 86: htmlspecialchars(): charset `phpbb/event/dispatcher_interface' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 151: htmlspecialchars(): charset `phpbb/event/dispatcher_interface' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 152: htmlspecialchars(): charset `phpbb/event/dispatcher_interface' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/user.php on line 329: htmlspecialchars(): charset `phpbb/event/dispatcher_interface' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_acp.php on line 96: htmlspecialchars(): charset `phpbb/event/dispatcher_interface' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_acp.php on line 97: htmlspecialchars(): charset `phpbb/event/dispatcher_interface' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_acp.php on line 98: htmlspecialchars(): charset `phpbb/event/dispatcher_interface' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_acp.php on line 99: htmlspecialchars(): charset `phpbb/event/dispatcher_interface' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_acp.php on line 100: htmlspecialchars(): charset `phpbb/event/dispatcher_interface' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_acp.php on line 101: htmlspecialchars(): charset `phpbb/event/dispatcher_interface' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_acp.php on line 102: htmlspecialchars(): charset `phpbb/event/dispatcher_interface' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_acp.php on line 103: htmlspecialchars(): charset `phpbb/event/dispatcher_interface' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_acp.php on line 104: htmlspecialchars(): charset `phpbb/event/dispatcher_interface' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_acp.php on line 105: htmlspecialchars(): charset `phpbb/event/dispatcher_interface' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_acp.php on line 139: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3009)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_acp.php on line 139: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3009)

On the index page I get this - again intermittently:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 86: htmlspecialchars(): charset `e' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 151: htmlspecialchars(): charset `e' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 152: htmlspecialchars(): charset `e' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/user.php on line 329: htmlspecialchars(): charset `e' not supported, assuming utf-8
EA117

Post by EA117 »

I failed to include "and purge the phpBB ACP Purge Cache again" after doing the Full Package overwrite, in case you haven't already done that.

Assuming phpBB ACP Purge Cache changes nothing, "That's crazy." It's almost like the quote characters aren't being interpreted in a standard way or something like that, making PHP believe multiple parameters are being passed to the htmlspecialchars() function.

Is there anything "unique" about the board's path on the host server, like maybe a folder named "/users/Stu's Special Board/public_html/" or similar, where a character within the path might need special treatment all the time? (The single-quote in that example, and maybe even the spaces.) I'm not talking about what's visible in your http://ccgi.crazeeworld.plus.com/slade/ URL, but the actual path the web server is storing your site in on the server.

But if it's not already apparent, I'm just guessing. The clues in that evidence aren't making any sense to me yet, so hopefully someone else reading has a better idea.

edit: I suppose it's possible an extension could have handled a very early event and somehow messed up the request fields. Is the SRT accurate in that there are no phpBB extensions installed, or maybe you already ruled out by disabling all of them?
12stringbassist

The URL doesn't seem to be a problem.

I went in and purged the cache in the ACP.

The forum stopped accepting any of my logins for a short period and the error message about the characters is there pretty much all of the time. Attempts to log in took me to a 502 bad gateway page.

I did manage to get in with my admin2 account after a number of attempts and reset the admin account password.

(Still some strings of debug text appearing after a bit of stability)
I had some extensions such as analogue clock / rules page - so I have disabled those to see what effect that has.

If you want to see whether you can navigate it without it breaking:
http://ccgi.crazeeworld.plus.com/slade/index.php
User name guest
Password guest

I will change the password on the guest account in a couple of days. :)

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”