topic properties

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
timelessbeing

topic properties

Post by timelessbeing »

I'm looking for a way to add some additional properties to topics, for the purposes of classification/organisation/searching.
It could be metadata in the form of tags/keywords, or whatever. But I need a way to apply the properties in bulk to existing topics, and be able to search/sort on them.

Does any such extension exist?

I tried RH Topic Tags but it only seem to support manually typing them in at the time of post creation.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: topic properties

Post by warmweer »

timelessbeing wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:28 am
Does any such extension exist?
I take it you've searched?
timelessbeing wrote:
I tried RH Topic Tags but it only seem to support manually typing them in at the time of post creation.
You can post an extension request in the correct forum, but will need to specify the criteria defining the ontents of a topic tag (since you want it automated).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
timelessbeing

Post by timelessbeing »

I searched and RH Topic Tags was the closest thing I found. It's buggy and abandoned.

I don't want it to be automated, but I need to be able to apply properties in bulk to existing topics. Like I said, RH Topic Tags only allows you to add tags while editing a topic, one bye one.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Where in topics? First post? Topic title? All posts? View_topic?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
timelessbeing

Post by timelessbeing »

stevemaury wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:56 pm
Where in topics? First post? Topic title? All posts? View_topic?
where what? Where do I want the tags to show up?
Somewhere in the first post I guess. I don't care too much. It would have to be visible in topic lists though.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

What are the criteria for what tag would be added to what post? Give us an example.

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
david63

Post by david63 »

timelessbeing wrote:
and be able to search/sort on them.
I doubt that the current phpBB core functions would accommodate these actions
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

But SQL would. And if, for example, the tag were in the subject line of the first post, phpBB could search for it.

timelessbeing

Post by timelessbeing »

stevemaury wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:35 pm
What are the criteria for what tag would be added to what post? Give us an example.
The advantage of tags is their flexibility. A topic can only exist in one forum, even though it might be suitable in multiple forums. But you can assign as many tags as you like.

Or perhaps you might want a way to differentiate posts without creating a subforum. I might have 'for sale' and 'wanted' topics listed together for visibility, and there aren't enough topics to warrant a subforum. But maybe later the forum gets much busier, and I'll need a way to filter the topics.

Or maybe I just want some sort of temporary label, to assist with organising and topics and shuffling forums.

That's just off the top of my head. User will probably find various applications. Tags are quite common these days for sorting anything from photos to files/folders, to social media posts.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”