New Users only placed in Newly Registered Users group and not added to Registered Users

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
EsmereldaPea

New Users only placed in Newly Registered Users group and not added to Registered Users

Post by EsmereldaPea »

I don't know if I'm just not understanding how this feature works or what.

I've RTFM and I've searched through this forum and can't seem to figure out why this is happening.

I have the post limit set to 1. The only forum a Newly Registered User has access to is the New Member Welcome Forum. The idea is to force a post here and once that is done, they will automagically be a Registered User. However, with my test account, I make a post. But I once that's done, I can't see any other forums.

From what I've read, I understand that the new users should be simultaneously put into both the Newly Registered Users group AND the Registered Users group. But my new user is ONLY put into the Newly Registered User group and I'm guessing that's the problem?

I've made no mods to the board. I've seen some reference to post incrementation, but can't find that anywhere.
{Edit} Found the post incrementation in the Forum settings {Edit}
Hoping someone can help and I've given enough info for help to be given.

Thanks!
Esme

:!: :::Edited to add solution::: :!:

I don't know why the 2-Group issue happened, BUT here's the solution for limiting access until post limit is met:

In all forums you wish to restrict, set the permissions you wish to restrict to "Never" rather than "No." Otherwise, the "Registered User" permissions for those forums will override the "Newly Registered User" permissions.

Simple. Perhaps the developers might consider adding this nugget to the User Manual?
Last edited by EsmereldaPea on Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hewmac06
Former Team Member
Name: Hugh

Re: Newly Registered Users not working right?

Post by hewmac06 »

EsmereldaPea wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:34 am
I make a post. But I once that's done, I can't see any other forums.
At a guess (perhaps wrong) it may activate to your configuration on the second post if you set the threshold to one.
EsmereldaPea

Re: Newly Registered Users not working right?

Post by EsmereldaPea »

Hmm. Not sure what you're saying. I even logged out and logged back in and I still can't see anything other than the one forum.
david63

Re: New Users only placed in Newly Registered Users group and not added to Registered Users

Post by david63 »

The way in which it works is that when a new member registers they will go into the NRU group and the Registered Users group. When the user makes their first post then that post will need to be approved and as long as the permission setting on that forum is to increment the post count then the user will then have a post count of one. If the post limit is set to one then the next time that the user visits the board they will be removed from the NRU group and just be in the Registered Users group.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
EsmereldaPea

Re: New Users only placed in Newly Registered Users group and not added to Registered Users

Post by EsmereldaPea »

So I just created a new user. And it appears that it placed that user into both groups, so that is working correctly now. BUT The "Registered User" permissions seem to have overridden the "Newly Registered User" permission as BEFORE I posted in the Welcome Forum I was able to post in another forum.

I just changed all permissions for "Newly Registered User" for all but "View" for Forums and Topics (other than Welcome Forum) to "Never" rather than "No." I'll delete my new user, re-create them, let you all know of the outcome so perhaps my fumbling can help some other poor sap stuck on the the same issue! :lol:
EsmereldaPea

Post by EsmereldaPea »

IT WORKED!

I'm going to edit my initial post so people don't have to scroooooollllllll.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”