I can't seem to assign different upload limits to different forums

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
owgPZ

I can't seem to assign different upload limits to different forums

Post by owgPZ »

I tried to find the answer to this but could not find one even searching online elsewhere.

This is my problem: phpBB (3.3.3) I am trying to assign an upload limit in my Media forum to allow 5 mb uploads.
  • The attachments general setting for all forums is set to 2 mb
  • I created an attachment extension group with the necessary file extensions and set the upload limit to 5 mb
However, when I go to the Media forum it still lists the upload limit as 2 mb.

What am I missing? :?:
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: I can't seem to assign different upload limits to different forums

Post by stevemaury »

What is the upload_max_filesize setting in your php setup? You can view this by clicking PHP information under the General tab of the ACP.

EDIT - Also, I do not believe the setting in Manage extension groups overrides the maximum file size setting. I believe it only reduces it. If I am right, and your php configuration allows it, you could set Maximum file size to 5MB and then limit it in Manage extension groups for all other extension types than your media typesa.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Note the upload_max_filesize setting of PHP will not limit phpBB's ability to upload attachments. Only non-typical upload cases like Avatars will be subject to the PHP-imposed limits.

phpBB's attachment processing must of course honor the PHP-imposed limits, but this happens transparently and automatically through plupload. plupload transparently breaks the attachment upload into smaller "chunks" which all stay within multiple PHP-imposed limits, including upload_max_filesize . As such allowing phpBB to handle uploads "of any size desired" without being limited to the PHP-imposed configuration.

I can't say for sure regarding the extension group size limit versus global size limit, and whether a extension group can allow larger sizes than the global limit allows. /phpbb/attachment/upload.php appears to substitute the extension group size limit for the global size limit, rather than asserting "it must be within both limits." But I haven't the time to definitively test this at the moment.
owgPZ

Post by owgPZ »

Thank you so much for the reply!

I actually tried the reverse logic from my initial attempt, and it worked:
  • Set the global size limit to 5 mib, which is what I wanted for my media forum
  • Went into the extension group setting for images, which I wanted to limit to 2 mib - it was set at 5 mib since that was the global limit. All I had to do was reset the limit to 2 mib.
  • I now have an images group set at 2 mib and a media forum with typical audio and video extensions (mp3,mp4, etc) and the forum allows me to upload 5 mib files.
  • When I post do into a regular (images only) forum which uses the images group, I can only upload up to 2 mib
It now works perfectly! The only flaw I see is that in a regular forum that uses only the images group which is limited to 2 mib, it displays the global setting of 5 mib. Members have already questioned why a 5 mib limit is displayed when they can only upload 2 mib.

However, I'm delighted that it is working - all I need do is tell everyone that the images limit is 2 and the media is 5 (everyone can upload images, but only a few selected members can do both.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”