Setting permissions for new users

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
steal_away21

Setting permissions for new users

Post by steal_away21 »

How do I set permissions for the New User group so their first post has to be authorised? (I’m getting spam posts even though I have the Q&A at registration enabled.)

And please can you tell me how long is a member ‘new’ and can this be edited?

Many thanks for your anticipated help :)
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Re: Setting permissions for new users

Post by Kailey »

In the ACP, click on the GENERAL tab -> Board configuration -> User registration settings. Set the New member post limit to something other than 0.

Unfortunately, this will only work for users who register AFTER you make this change. Any current users will not be automatically added to the NRU group.

A users is considered "new" until the reach the post limit you configure in the setting above.
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

steal_away21 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:06 amI’m getting spam posts even though I have the Q&A at registration enabled
It may be that the answer to your question is either too easy or that it is searchable as in Google and the bots have defeated it, bots can search too. The Q&A should be something unique and non-searchable, please revisit Knowledge Base - How to configure Q&A CAPTCHA for a more in depth explanation. Most users find a good Q&A + the NRU set at something more than zero stops 99% of bots.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

A link to your board will help us suggest a better type of question.

And you should not have to change the default permissions for the NRU group. It is already set to require moderation.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

stevemaury wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:59 pm And you should not have to change the default permissions for the NRU group. It is already set to require moderation.
That is assuming you are copying the Forum Permission of the starting forum. Otherwise you need to set the Forum Permissions Role of the Newly Registered Users group to "Newly Registered User Access" or "On Moderation Queue"
steal_away21

Post by steal_away21 »

KaileyT wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:27 am In the ACP, click on the GENERAL tab -> Board configuration -> User registration settings. Set the New member post limit to something other than 0.

Unfortunately, this will only work for users who register AFTER you make this change. Any current users will not be automatically added to the NRU group.

A users is considered "new" until the reach the post limit you configure in the setting above.
Thank you, this all worked fine. I thought it had to be something simple but I couldn’t see the wood for the trees!

Mick wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:44 am
steal_away21 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:06 amI’m getting spam posts even though I have the Q&A at registration enabled
It may be that the answer to your question is either too easy or that it is searchable as in Google and the bots have defeated it, bots can search too. The Q&A should be something unique and non-searchable, please revisit Knowledge Base - How to configure Q&A CAPTCHA for a more in depth explanation. Most users find a good Q&A + the NRU set at something more than zero stops 99% of bots.
Well I have questions set such as ‘who is the front man’, ‘what is the second song from their third album?’, ‘what is BSS in full?’ etc. so I thought it wouldn’t be easy to google the answers unless it was a fan. If I make the questions too obscure it would get too difficult for the less than hardcore fans!

My forum is: www.theverveonline.com/friendlyforum/

Thanks for you help.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You should only use one Q&A, the reason for that is if one of a multiple of Q&A’s gets defeated you won’t know which one it was and you will have to change them all, if you just have one you only have one to change. The ‘first solo album’ question is Googleable first hit so I imagine the rest are too. You can test the Q&A’s yourself, try googling them, if they return an answer you will need to redo them for something that doesn’t. Being a fan makes no difference, I’m not and found the answer easily, assume a bot can do exactly the same as I did. Once a correct answer has been found it’s passed around the herd straight away.

PM me if you like I have a suggestion.
    " - Harmony Cobel
steal_away21

Post by steal_away21 »

Thank you very much for your reply - I’ve sent you a PM.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

And I’ve replied :D
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”