Two weird issues after upgrade from 3.0.10 to 3.3.3

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
MarkDHamill

Two weird issues after upgrade from 3.0.10 to 3.3.3

Post by MarkDHamill »

I'm a pretty good debugger but two things after this upgrade have me totally perplexed.

- The version shown in the ACP is 3.1.10-dev. I looked at the migrations table and all the migrations seem to be there. The value for version in the phpbb_config table is 3.3.3. Purging the cache doesn't change this. This has worked in the past. Any idea?
- Clicking on some links, like the UCP link returns this error:
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Unknown column 'post_visibility' in 'where clause' [1054]

SQL

SELECT forum_id, COUNT(post_id) AS num_posts FROM phpbb_posts WHERE poster_id = 2 AND post_postcount = 1 AND ((forum_id IN (2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29) OR (post_visibility = 1 AND 1=0))) GROUP BY forum_id ORDER BY num_posts DESC LIMIT 1

BACKTRACE

FILE: (not given by php)
LINE: (not given by php)
CALL: msg_handler()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/driver.php
LINE: 1023
CALL: trigger_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysqli.php
LINE: 195
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\driver->sql_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysql_base.php
LINE: 45
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\mysqli->sql_query()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/driver.php
LINE: 296
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\mysql_base->_sql_query_limit()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/factory.php
LINE: 337
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\driver->sql_query_limit()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/functions_display.php
LINE: 1201
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\factory->sql_query_limit()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/ucp/ucp_main.php
LINE: 222
CALL: display_user_activity()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/functions_module.php
LINE: 676
CALL: ucp_main->main()

FILE: [ROOT]/ucp.php
LINE: 440
CALL: p_master->load_active()
But the post_visibility column is in the phpbb_posts table and is properly defined and populated (all have the value 1). The SQL fails in phpBB but enter the same thing in phpMyAdmin and it works fine.
2021-04-09 17.28.54 sxb1plzcpnl459832.prod.sxb1.secureserver.net d845ad3b3fe7.jpg
The only odd thing about this board is that content is mostly in Cyrillic.

Any ideas??
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
MarkDHamill

Re: Two weird issues after upgrade from 3.0.10 to 3.3.3

Post by MarkDHamill »

For the record, this issue was due to a MySQL configuration issue on a prominent web host. I understand it's not a good polite to name names but let's just say this was hosting on the #1 host in the world. This happened after tediously moving everything to a supposedly better hosting plan with PHP 7 so phpBB 3.3 could be installed. Attempts to upgrade the board there failed for the reasons in this topic.

The real issue was their inability or unwillingness to fix a problem with the MySQL server, increasing the full text buffer size in particular which caused all the other issues. I downloaded the database, converted it on my machine where it ran fine, uploaded it and we ran into the same issue. We got SSH access but were given no privileges to fix the buffer problem.

We tried moving back to his old hosting plan which had only PHP 5.2 through 5.6 and upgrade to phpBB 3.2.11, which I did on my machine. But uploading failed there too with continual issues with MySQL going away, HTTP 500 errors and basic issues with tightly managed shared hosting.

So it was not a phpBB problem or really a PHP problem but a MySQL configuration issue and the disinterest by the super huge hosting company to fix the underlying issue.

So everything was moved to a completely different host that is actually well managed where everything is now running spiffy.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”