Newly Registered User Group Question

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
FlynnMcLean

Newly Registered User Group Question

Post by FlynnMcLean »

I've read that even when I change the "New Member Post Limit" to 3 (for example), it only affects new users from that point on. Would there be any risk in updating the database manually to fit that criteria to existing users retroactively? This is the statement I would run:

update [table_name_users]
set group_id= [id for NRU]
where user_posts < 4

Would such a statement have an adverse effect on anything?

Thanks!

Flynn
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Newly Registered User Group Question

Post by Brf »

That would not help. That field is only the "default group", which has no effect on permissions.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

You can remove them in the ACP

Users and groups tab >> Manage Groups link on left >> Click members link in the NRU row.

Put check next to names, from drop down box select remove from group and hit submit.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear it's sortable. they are sorted by name. If it's small amount it's workable solution.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
FlynnMcLean

Post by FlynnMcLean »

Thanks for the quick responses. It sounds like once a user becomes a Registered User, there's no way to move them back to Newly Registered User. Or at least there's no way to require a moderator approval once a user has become a Registered User. Is that correct? No biggie if so, just want to make sure there's not another way to do so.

Thanks again!

Flynn
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

My apologies you want to add them to NRU?

This is a workaround. User and groups tab >> Prune users >> Set the post criteria to less than 4 >> Click submit

The next page is confirmation page. Highlight all the names, copy and paste into decent text editor like Notepad++. Use find and replace function to remove unnecessary text e.g. [ administer user ]. Make sure to include spaces. Obviously you do not want to confirm the prune, you are only using it to generate a list.

Go back to the same page you would remove them from group and down the bottom is box to add them. Do it it in chunks, 50 names at a time. You don't want to do too many because the page might timeout.

I have created similar lists for other things but I have used phpMyadmin to generate the list. If you are familiar with phpMyadmin you can get your list there by playing around with the output using custom CSV file.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Do it the way we do it here. Create a group with the group forum permission for all forums with the permission for Can post without approval set to Never, and put the desired users in that group.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
david63

Post by david63 »

Another way, which would handle it automatically, would be to use the autogroups extension.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”