Punishments

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
TheJay

Re: Punishments

Post by TheJay »

Ah, so a mute facility is available but by the sounds of it, it's a manual process and cannot be set for a fixed number of hours, days, weeks or months?
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

There is an auto groups extension but I don't think it will let you remove someone based on the criteria you need.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... to_groups/

Optionally there is the "On moderation queue" group, it has most of the normal permissions except "Can post without approval" is set to never. Moderators will get a notification of new post and need to approve them.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
TheJay

Post by TheJay »

Thanks for the suggestion. Close, but not quite.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Why think about punishments instead of starting a forum and then seeing how it works?
It almost sounds like you're wrapping your head before breaking it.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
TheJay

Post by TheJay »

I know what you mean and I can see why you would think that. I want the forum to be transparent and everyone to understand that certain types of behaviours will not be tolerated.

Did you get my post/message on your forums Marco? I don't think it's showing up.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

TheJay wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:51 am ...

Did you get my post/message on your forums Marco? I don't think it's showing up.
See your notifications.
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

TheJay wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:21 pm Ah, so a mute facility is available but by the sounds of it, it's a manual process and cannot be set for a fixed number of hours, days, weeks or months?
Banned users cannot post and bans can be set to automatically expire after a set time. Perhaps we do not understand precisely what you want to do, because somewhere in the three or four solutions you have been given, there must be something that will work for you. Hundreds of thousands of boards operate with this same set of tools.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
TheJay

Post by TheJay »

Can banned users still read content on the forum? I suspect that is the difference between mute and ban.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Yes, if you give the Guests group a Read-only access role. Banned users cannot log in, but all people not logged in are guests, so . . .

OR, you can create a group with a read only access role, and put the user in it as opposed to banning.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
TheJay

Post by TheJay »

Good point, thank you. That's great.

Can it be time limited putting them into such a group?
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

No
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

I agree with the earlier comment that I think you're overcomplicating something that hasn't even happened yet.

Get on with making the board and promoting it and getting people in. That's the hardest part. You can sort out ways of dealing with people later on and a lot of that is often down to the way you run it. I've only banned 2 people in nearly 20 years across 5-6 boards. Just put them on a mod queue or give them a week off. That's usually sufficient. You don't need to be transparent. It's not the users business how you run the site, they just want to turn up and post. Make rules that say people causing trouble will be dealt with in an appropriate manner and that'll be fine. It's not always a one fix suits all situation anyway and if you say specifically X will happen and you find that doesn't work then you'll have to do Y or Z anyway to sort it out. That then gives them grounds to say well it doesn't say that in the rules.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
TheJay

Post by TheJay »

Thank you, much appreciated.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

TheJay wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:24 pm Good point, thank you. That's great.

Can it be time limited putting them into such a group?
What group? Unless you expect hundreds of miscreants, ban the user, put a time limit on the ban, and give Guests a Read-only access role. Done and done.
TheJay

Post by TheJay »

That's a good idea, thank you.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”