Email works ok except Admin not sent email when new user registers

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
dubwah

Email works ok except Admin not sent email when new user registers

Post by dubwah »

Having a slight problem with phpBB 3.3.3 Email?

Successfully run the following Email functions:
  1. Send an Test Email in ACP. Admin receives Email indicating phpBB email is correctly configured
  2. "Contact Us" successfully sends email to Admin
  3. New Userregistration receives email indicating Admin required to approve registration
However, Admin never gets an email from the new user registration?
The Maintenance Error Log Displays the following:
Could not connect to smtp host : 110 : Connection timed out
SMTP settings that 'mostly' work have the following parameters

Email is setup using a secure 1&1 IONOS email address. The IONOS email automatically forwards to a main Gmail address. That is, all emails from phpBB go directly to 1&1 IONOS email which are then forwarded to my Gmail account.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
dubwah

Re: Email works ok except Admin not sent email when new user registers

Post by dubwah »

Still trying to figure out problem. Reinstalled phpBB on a new domain from scratch. During the installation there is a form to setup SMTP. After the installation phpBB sends admin an email congratulating on the successful install. That works great!

Login as ACP, and make just one change; set the new user registration to require admin approval. Then pretend to be a new user trying to register on the forum. And, as before, the new user receives a welcome email to the forum. The new user email message indicates admin approval is required to join forum and that Admin have been set an email notification of the new user registration. However Admin never get the new user registration email notification? Under 'Maintenance' there are no errors reported in the 'Error log' so according to phpBB everything is working fine, but it isn't, this is a fresh, clean phpBB 3.3 install so why wouldn't Admin get an email notification of a new user registration?

In older versions of phpBB I've read on forums there used to be an Admin notification option which had to be turned-on, in order to receive an email new user registration notification. If this option exists in phpBB 3.3.x, I have no idea where it is and if it exists, would greatly appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

So although Admin is not getting a new user registration email, went into ACP, and saw the new user registration waiting to get approved. As ACP manually approved the 'New user registration' and was able to confirmed the new user received an email that the registration has been approved.
Also confirmed that the phpBB 'Contact Us' email form works ok. Once the form is filled-in, phpBB is able to successfully send an email to Admin.

So this is really confusing why phpBB will not send an Admin email notification when new user registrations are set to 'By Admin'when obviously the email function in phpBB is working but not for this specific, particular case. Can anyone point me to the .php module/code where the new user registration email is suppose to be sent. Wondering if this may be a bug in 3.3.x phpBB or, perhaps there is a place in ACP to turn notifications on/off that I am unable to find/locate?

Thank you
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

dubwah wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:46 pm an Admin notification option which had to be turned-on, in order to receive an email new user registration notification. If this option exists in phpBB 3.3.x, I have no idea where it is
In UCP / Board preferences / Edit notification options
HaioPaio

Post by HaioPaio »

I'm using the extension Notify Admin on Registration 1.0.3 for that purpose.
To my knowledge, this is not a native phpbb functionality.
It is available here https://www.dmzx-web.net. Registration is required for download

Community Team Note

That extension is not relevant to the question asked,
www.der-räuchertreff.de phpBB 3.3.x php 7.4
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

HaioPaio wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:07 pm I'm using the extension Notify Admin on Registration 1.0.3 for that purpose.
To my knowledge, this is not a native phpbb functionality.
It is certainly "native" for the admin to receive notification when registration is set to admin approval.
HaioPaio

Post by HaioPaio »

Ok. Misunderstanding from my side. Thank you.
www.der-räuchertreff.de phpBB 3.3.x php 7.4
dubwah

Post by dubwah »

Thanks for these suggestions. Appreciate the help.

Upgraded to php 3.3.4. Looked around a bit and found the UCP, great tip, still new to phpBB and that really helped. The relevant 'email' notifications were turned off in UCP for admin user so set the email notify to ON for admin user. Tested and still same results unfortunately! phpBB sends email to new user acknowledging new registration, but still no email to admin sent when new user registers. Contact Us, email sends great and test email in email configuration ACP works as well.

Also tried installing the "Notify Admin on Registration" plugin but that didn't work either. Really puzzled by this but will keep trying. Obviously must be something very unique to my server/system setup.

Thanks anyway.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”