Lubber Lost Adrift ... Cast off? ... Underway?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
LockH

Lubber Lost Adrift ... Cast off? ... Underway?

Post by LockH »

Hello All [first post here]

Perspective: Disabled old guy tapping keyboard with left index finger... from the daze of programming in COBOL Fortran CPM ... dialup 300baud and Who Needs more that 64,000 characters? [That's silly] ... then 5+ years ago woke in strange bed... [used to, just not by myself? ]... after a Week in a Coma w/broken bones etc... Body found on floor at foot of a bunch of stairs the only clue... Right side of a right-handed body no longer cooperates [and staggers like a drunken w/zero alcohol in system]

Decades since hosting as "BBS Sysop" ... [gasp]

Hoping to start a site w/URL ... then can't figure the darned DOS browser [Firefox] software thingees... [chuckle] ...

Honestly, downloaded 32bit zip, extracted ... Wait ... where's the .EXE??? [please stop giggling]

Any thought on this pile of files laying flopping around... can't make `em Get Up and Dance?

Best Regards ... and maybe evade invisible flying morphing alien invaders these days?

Lock

PS ... Neighbours comment quickest lawn chair around... [My wheelchairs built and maintained by local auto mechanic... all-season ATV]
lawnchair.jpg
;)
Last edited by HiFiKabin on Sun May 02, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Support
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Lubber Lost Adrift ... Cast off? ... Underway?

Post by stevemaury »

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
LockH

Post by LockH »

Link includes in part ".htaccess in "root level of the phpBB3 folder""

Like "C:\Users\pc\phpBB-3.3.4\phpBB3"? ... browser reports file there...

... and my screen fills up with

Code: Select all

"* @license GNU General Public License, version 2 (GPL-2.0) * * For full copyright and license information, please see * the docs/CREDITS.txt file. * */ /** * @ignore */ define('IN_PHPBB', true); define('IN_INSTALL', true); $phpbb_root_path = '../'; $phpEx = substr(strrchr(__FILE__, '.'), 1); if (version_compare(PHP_VERSION, '7.1.3', '<')) { die('You are running an unsupported PHP version. Please upgrade to PHP 7.1.3 or higher before trying to install or update to phpBB 3.3'); } $startup_new_path = $phpbb_root_path . 'install/update/update/new/install/startup.' . $phpEx; $startup_path = (file_exists($startup_new_path)) ? $startup_new_path : $phpbb_root_path . 'install/startup.' . $phpEx; require($startup_path); /** @var \phpbb\filesystem\filesystem $phpbb_filesystem */ $phpbb_filesystem = $phpbb_installer_container->get('filesystem'); /** @var \phpbb\template\template $template */ $template = $phpbb_installer_container->get('template'); // Path to templates $paths = array($phpbb_root_path . 'install/update/new/adm/style', $phpbb_admin_path . 'style'); $paths = array_filter($paths, 'is_dir'); $template->set_custom_style(array( array( 'name' => 'adm', 'ext_path' => 'adm/style/', ), ), $paths); /** @var $phpbb_dispatcher \phpbb\event\dispatcher */ $phpbb_dispatcher = $phpbb_installer_container->get('dispatcher'); /** @var \phpbb\language\language $language */ $language = $phpbb_installer_container->get('language'); $language->add_lang(array('common', 'acp/common', 'acp/board', 'install', 'posting')); /** @var $http_kernel \Symfony\Component\HttpKernel\HttpKernel */ $http_kernel = $phpbb_installer_container->get('http_kernel'); /** @var $symfony_request \phpbb\symfony_request */ $symfony_request = $phpbb_installer_container->get('symfony_request'); $response = $http_kernel->handle($symfony_request); $response->send(); $http_kernel->terminate($symfony_request, $response); " 
Plan B? anybuddy please?
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

I have not approved all of your pending posts in this topic for the simple reason that it is getting far too confused.

From the code you have posted it appears that you are attempting to install phpBB on your computer. Is this the case?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Usually, phpBB is installed as a web-based application. This means you need to get a hosting account with an internet hosting provider and obtain a domain name. Most hosts can assist you with that.

Then, the contents of the phpBB folder that results from unzipping the download are uploaded to the host server, either in the root of the domain or in a directory of your making. You will also have to create a database, using tools provided by your host.

When that is done, phpBB is installed by browsing to the /install folder in the uploaded files and following the screen prompts.

phpBB can be installed on a local computer, which is usually done just for testing, but you first must install software that provides Apache and MySQL servers on your local computer. XAMPP is a popular example of such a package.

This is not a Windows application wherein you just execute an .exe file.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
LockH

Post by LockH »

HI Kabin! [honestly was wondering... usual confusion on my part tks]
HiFiKabin wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:24 am I have not approved all of your pending posts in this topic for the simple reason that it is getting far too confused.
From the code you have posted it appears that you are attempting to install phpBB on your computer. Is this the case?
100% Correct Sir. From the daze of CPM and MS-DOS ... working with my hands (fingers) sorta screwed ... have installed BBS dialups ... think Wildcat... back-in-day...

It LOOKS like I've downloaded zip and extracted ok... (probably a too-long disk drive address ...)

W/references to an "Install tab" which doesn't appear on my screen? [Current/latest version Mozilla running over WinDoze (sp?) ver 10...

tks again
L
LockH

Post by LockH »

Hi Steve... AHAH! ... have contacted local service re an URL ... THOUGHT I might play in the days waiting for any reply from provider. You'll think these days everyone is "too busy" doing "other stuff" ... like dying... Huge Inconvenience People!

BECAUSE phpbb ... appears "flexible" in how it's set up [cough cough] ... Guess fer now I'll just stick to keep reading manuals... :) w/hopes to hear from provider next week.

Thanks all Glad to be here... Reason for launching any new URL ... this one about changing the future "for the better" ... (which leads to usual fears and ignorance... and businesses with interests already sunk into a dying world?)

Fear "the normal" much? :mrgreen:

Cheers
L
Last edited by thecoalman on Mon May 03, 2021 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessarily large quote. When quoting please only quote relevant text. Thanks.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

If you want to install and run phpBB for testing or evaluation purposes you can follow this guide to set up local server.

Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server

Anything you configure or do on the test server can be transferred to live server....
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
LockH

Post by LockH »

Thank you Sir
L
thecoalman wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:18 am If you want to install and run phpBB for testing or evaluation purposes you can follow this guide to set up local server.

Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server

Anything you configure or do on the test server can be transferred to live server....

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”