Problem with automatic update from 3.3.3 to 3.3.4

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scoutiqe

Problem with automatic update from 3.3.3 to 3.3.4

Post by Scoutiqe »

Sorry for my bad english.

Hi!
I want to install update via Automatic Update, but I have this problem:
Refreshing page not working.

What could have happened?
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Re: Problem with automatic update from 3.3.3 to 3.3.4

Post by Kailey »

The recommended update method is the full package method (unless you made changes to core files).
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

KaileyT wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:15 am The recommended update method is the full package method (unless you made changes to core files).
I had the same problem as the OP with the autoupdate. Tried the full package and ran into the same problem again.
Lost a full weekend to trying this.
At this point, I've pretty much given up on trying to update 3.3.3 to 3.3.4 and will wait for the next update and try again.
ssl
Name: Fred Rimbert

Post by ssl »

Hi
Go to the ./store folder and delete the install_config.php and io_lock.lock files.
Once done and returning to the phpBB update page, the possibility to update the database is offered.
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB: 3.3.11 | PHP: 8.2.16
[GitHub] - [Kill spam on phpBB] - [Some French translation of extensions]
"Mistress, Mistress someone is bothering me in pm"
DV1

Post by DV1 »

@ devnulljp

I had similar problems as noted in this topic with the AU and FP. What errors was the updating panel showing you? For instance, mine was just one error about 'stylesheet.css'. I retried with the FP but still the same warning.

____

@ssl

I'm going to try updating again with the FP in a couple of days. I will remember your suggestion and those from others in the other topic.
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

I got an error that /forum/includes/functions_admin.php file didn't match the earlier version and would be merged, then it failed with the timeout mentioned in the first post.
I had edited that file because my database name contains a dash (-) (see here: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/6121/files)
So, I went back and replaced with the untouched file from the v3.3.3 full install. Predictably, that resulted in the ACP error, but when I ran the update it gave exactly the same problems as above, complaining that functions_admin.php file didn't match the earlier version (which it should have) and then the php time out error.
FWIW, I did go in and change the timeout to various higher values, but none of those made any difference. Also, the error popped up almost immediately suggesting it was a deeper problem.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Did you do this?
ssl wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:45 pm Hi
Go to the ./store folder and delete the install_config.php and io_lock.lock files.
Once done and returning to the phpBB update page, the possibility to update the database is offered.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

devnulljp wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:42 pm I got an error that /forum/includes/functions_admin.php file didn't match the earlier version and would be merged, then it failed with the timeout mentioned in the first post.
I had edited that file because my database name contains a dash (-) (see here: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/6121/files)
So, I went back and replaced with the untouched file from the v3.3.3 full install. Predictably, that resulted in the ACP error, but when I ran the update it gave exactly the same problems as above, complaining that functions_admin.php file didn't match the earlier version (which it should have) and then the php time out error.
FWIW, I did go in and change the timeout to various higher values, but none of those made any difference. Also, the error popped up almost immediately suggesting it was a deeper problem.
All due to using the Automatic update instead of the Full version.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
AriaSilverfyre

Post by AriaSilverfyre »

devnulljp wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:13 pm
KaileyT wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:15 am The recommended update method is the full package method (unless you made changes to core files).
I had the same problem as the OP with the autoupdate. Tried the full package and ran into the same problem again.
Lost a full weekend to trying this.
At this point, I've pretty much given up on trying to update 3.3.3 to 3.3.4 and will wait for the next update and try again.
I'm having the same exact issue too.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

@AriaSilverfyre and @devnulljp
Did you do what ssl suggested and janus_zonstraal repeated?
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ide/minor/
Minor Updates Within 3.3.x
Important

If you have previously abandoned an update attempt to try a different method, you will need to remove the following files from the server:

store/install_config.php
store/io_lock.lock
It also doesn't harm to clear cache (-board and -browser) before restarting an update/grade.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

warmweer wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:28 pm @AriaSilverfyre and @devnulljp
Did you do what ssl suggested and janus_zonstraal repeated?
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ide/minor/
Minor Updates Within 3.3.x
Important

If you have previously abandoned an update attempt to try a different method, you will need to remove the following files from the server:

store/install_config.php
store/io_lock.lock
It also doesn't harm to clear cache (-board and -browser) before restarting an update/grade.
Thank you, this worked for me.

Deleted

store/install_config.php
store/io_lock.lock[/quote]

Cleared cache for good measure.

Went to /install/app.php/update and it updated the db successfully
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

devnulljp wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:39 pm Went to /install/app.php/update and it updated the db successfully
I was pretty confident about that ;-)

If you have no file modifications at all, then there is absolutely no reason to use the autoupdate.
The Full package or the Changed Files package are the easiest (and quickest) to use.
Even with file modifications, I wouldn't use the autoupdate as there is even no guarantee that changes to a previous version will work with the newer version. So with file modifications, I always test with manual transfer of edits to files on a personal webserver (and keep notes of all edits).
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

invenio

Post by invenio »

warmweer wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:30 am I was pretty confident about that ;-)

If you have no file modifications at all, then there is absolutely no reason to use the autoupdate.
The Full package or the Changed Files package are the easiest (and quickest) to use.
Even with file modifications, I wouldn't use the autoupdate as there is even no guarantee that changes to a previous version will work with the newer version. So with file modifications, I always test with manual transfer of edits to files on a personal webserver (and keep notes of all edits).
Words of wisdom. Now if we can get phpbb.com to update their download page to reflect this advice, we may see fewer support requests.

The Full Package Download Text https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/3.3/install:
This is the full 3.3.4 package which can be used for new installations. It contains the entire phpBB source code and the British English language pack. See the link below to download additional language packs.
The Automatic Download Text: https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/3.3/update
This update package supplies the automatic updater, which is capable of updating modified installations. This is the package that most users should download to update their forums. If you have made no changes, you can use the 'Changed Files' package instead.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

invenio wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:41 pm
The Full Package Download Text https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/3.3/install:
This is the full 3.3.4 package which can be used for new installations. It contains the entire phpBB source code and the British English language pack. See the link below to download additional language packs.
Yeah, languagewise it's too concise and incomplete. (e.g. not only new installations but also updates and upgrades)
invenio wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:41 pm The Automatic Download Text: https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/3.3/update
This update package supplies the automatic updater, which is capable of updating modified installations. This is the package that most users should download to update their forums. If you have made no changes, you can use the 'Changed Files' package instead.
And this doesn't mention that the capability of updating modified installations also depends on FTP settings from the host (probably also other host-induced permissions).

I'm under the impression that this whole section is under review and will be revamped.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”