User Permissions To Read Only?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
DBG1

User Permissions To Read Only?

Post by DBG1 »

Just wondering if there is a way to set an individual user's permissions to "read only" somehow so that they can still log in, but they not able to post at all in any forum?

Thanks...
david63

Re: User Permissions To Read Only?

Post by david63 »

There is no quick way to do it.

I would suggest that you create a new group and then set the group forum role to read only for the forums that you want to be read only. Then make that group the user's default group
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
DBG1

Post by DBG1 »

Thanks. I just did that by creating a new group. It did take some time as you mentioned it would to set all the forum permissions for the group to read only, but it worked. I also set most of the regular group permissions to "never" as well.

By settings all of the group forum permissions to "never" (except for the the actions which I just set to "no") I don't think I need to make the group the user's default group, do I? "Never" will override all other group permissions anyway I think?

Thanks again.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

The user just needs to be in the group. The only effect of making a group a user's default is that they will get the group color and avatar, if any. That's it.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

DBG1 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:19 am By settings all of the group forum permissions to "never" (except for the the actions which I just set to "no") I don't think I need to make the group the user's default group, do I? "Never" will override all other group permissions anyway I think?
The no permission would be better defined as not set but can be elsewhere. Yes permissions are stacked and what that means is if a user belongs to multiple groups their yes permissions are the aggregate of "yes" for all the groups. For example everyone is member of the registered users groups so setting a custom group to no will not override a yes in registered user group.

The only way to override yes is with never. Never is always never.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
DBG1

Post by DBG1 »

Thank you for al the clarifications above. All is clear now.

One last question please when using "NEVER" permissions in some of the groups that the user is a member of and not the others that the user is in:

Is it necessary for the group containing the "NEVER" permissions to be made the group default for the member in order for the "NEVER" permissions to override everything else?

Or does the group default setting not play a role in any of the use of permissions?

Thank you.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

stevemaury wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:37 pm The user just needs to be in the group. The only effect of making a group a user's default is that they will get the group color and avatar, if any. That's it.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
DBG1

Post by DBG1 »

Got it. Thanks. Sorry, I missed that. I read it, but still missed it somehow. :D

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”