Any suggestions for running 3.2.8 and 3.3.4 on the same host?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Aleksandar

Any suggestions for running 3.2.8 and 3.3.4 on the same host?

Post by Aleksandar »

I help run a forum that is currently using version 3.2.8 of phpBB. We would like to upgrade to 3.3.4 however this would result in our current style no longer working. To facilitate this, I would like to create another installation of phpBB (3.3.4) so that we can work on creating a custom style.

Prior to this, I would install phpBB via Softaculous to another directory so that I and my co-admin could work on the style without affecting the live site. The issue I'm facing now is that I can't install the current version of phpBB without upgrading PHP to at least 7.1.3 however this would probably break our live site since, as far as I know, 3.2.8 does not support PHP 7.1.3.

Short of purchasing a separate webhosting account, does anyone know of a way to create another phpBB installation so that we can work together on the new style while still keeping the 3.2.8 version live?

Thanks in advance!
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Re: Any suggestions for running 3.2.8 and 3.3.4 on the same host?

Post by 3Di »

Aleksandar wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:18 pm Prior to this, I would install phpBB via Softaculous to another directory
That's a no-no to begin with. Only use the packages downloaded from here.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

You can just install in different directory, use a different prefix for database tables. However, the easier thing to do is install local server.

Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server

Edit: as far as the php version goes this can be set on per directory basis if your host allows it. You would have to check your hosts documentation but honestly just use local server. It's much easier for testing and development.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Aleksandar

Post by Aleksandar »

3Di wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:22 pm
Aleksandar wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:18 pm Prior to this, I would install phpBB via Softaculous to another directory
That's a no-no to begin with. Only use the packages downloaded from here.
Our live site was installed manually however for just working on a style I didn't run into any issues the last time we did it this way.
thecoalman wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:36 pm You can just install in different directory, use a different prefix for database tables. However, the easier thing to do is install local server.

Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server

Edit: as far as the php version goes this can be set on per directory basis if your host allows it. You would have to check your hosts documentation but honestly just use local server. It's much easier for testing and development.
I've installed locally in the past using XAMPP but the issue is my co-admin is not able to work on the style if it is only run locally.

Thanks for the tip on php though. I will reach out to my host to see if they are able to only run php 7.3.1 on a specific directory.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Aleksandar wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:48 pm Our live site was installed manually however for just working on a style I didn't run into any issues the last time we did it this way.
I suggest to keep doing it manually though.
You can just install in different directory, use a different database.
PHP can be handled on a per directory basis usually, that's what we do here.
There are 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 and 4.0 installs on our same server.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Aleksandar

Post by Aleksandar »

3Di wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:56 pm
Aleksandar wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:48 pm Our live site was installed manually however for just working on a style I didn't run into any issues the last time we did it this way.
I suggest to keep doing it manually though.
You can just install in different directory, use a different database.
PHP can be handled on a per directory basis usually, that's what we do here.
There are 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 and 4.0 installs on our same server.
Okay, will do. Thanks for all the help!
eeji

Post by eeji »

If you're not able to have different PHP versions on the same server, the easiest way would be to sign up for a free hosting plan somewhere and use the naff subdomain they offer. When you're finished with your development just delete everything and forget about it.
My phpBB styles: phpbbstyles.iansvivarium.com
My "board": iansvivarium.com
(yes, it's running phpBB!)
Aleksandar

Post by Aleksandar »

Just got another question now that I've had time to attempt an install.

After copying a fresh copy of phpBB to a directory and beginning the install process, at the "Database configuration" tab the only options I have for database type are the following:
  • MSSQL Server 2000+ via ODBC
  • SQLite 3
I thought this was a bit strange since when I check config.php for my "live" forum, I see that $dbms is set to "phpbb\\db\\driver\\mysqli".

Does this mean when I first installed my forum my host supported MySQLi and now only supports the above two options? Or this could be a problem with phpBB not correctly seeing what options are available?

Also, I created a ticket with my host regarding installing with either of the above two options and this was their response:
I would advise installing using softaculous so it can get everything in the correct place for you as it currently seems like you have a version tailored for windows.

Mssql refers the Microsoft SQL server general. SQL lite is a server less setup that would not be setup in cPanel.
Aleksandar

Post by Aleksandar »

Just as a final update, I was able to get phpBB installed by requesting my host to activate the MySQLi extension under PHP 8.0 which then allowed me to choose that option in the installation process.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”