Change what is shown on Google search?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
orschiro

Change what is shown on Google search?

Post by orschiro »

Hey guys!

Where can you change what is shown on the Google search?

See attached example.
Attachments
Screenshot_2021-05-13_16-01-13.png
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Change what is shown on Google search?

Post by thecoalman »

You can't. What appears in description for search is up to Google, Google *may* choose to use the meta description if one is given but phpBB doesn't have them. They may choose to ignore the description if you had one and provide their own. Note that meta descriptions should be unique for each page so you can't just simply add one in overall_header.html for every page. When no meta description is present Google will choose something on the page. There was extension for this but the one i found appears out of date.

Presumably your screenshot is from footer, you may want to double check that the bots group permissions are correctly set so they have access to the page.

You can add this to overall_header.html anywhere between the <head> tags but it only applies to index page.

Code: Select all

<!-- IF S_INDEX --><meta name="description" content="{SITE_DESCRIPTION}<!-- ENDIF -->
Adding a description to viewforum and viewtopic gets complicated because once again you want it to be unique.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
orschiro

Post by orschiro »

Thanks Janus!

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”