Private Message Notification Cannot be Removed ?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
mrix2000

Private Message Notification Cannot be Removed ?

Post by mrix2000 »

Hello all, one of my members explains he cannot remove a private message notification :?
Is there a way I can remove it from elsewhere ? in ACP or the database ?
Thanks for any help and idea`s
Last edited by mrix2000 on Fri May 14, 2021 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Email Notification Cannot be Removed ?

Post by Brf »

Your notification settings are in your UCP, under Board prefs / Edit notification options
mrix2000

Post by mrix2000 »

Brf wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:33 pm Your notification settings are in your UCP, under Board prefs / Edit notification options
Hi Brf, so if he removes the tick for private messages notification clicks submit and saves it then replaces the tick and click Submit once more, it should clear the notification ?
Thanks
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

No. He would need to uncheck the column that says "Email". I am not sure why you would want to re-checkmark the column if you did not want a notification.
mrix2000

Post by mrix2000 »

Brf wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:58 pm No. He would need to uncheck the column that says "Email". I am not sure why you would want to re-checkmark the column if you did not want a notification.
Hello my member wants to have private messages notifications but for some reason he has a notification that does not clear :?
Its become annoying for him as all messages have been read but the notification still remains :?
Is there a way to clear a single notification, maybe in the database ? something seems to of glitched with this members single notification, its not happened to anyone else.
Thanks for the help
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: Private Message Notification Cannot be Removed ?

Post by HiFiKabin »

I had that issue with a member many years (and therefore many versions) ago. The only way I solved it was to create a new account, merge the old into the new deleting the old and then rename it to the previous username. You will need this extension viewtopic.php?f=616&t=2418136

I am not saying that it will still work but its got to be worth trying.

Back up the database first in case of problems.
mrix2000

Post by mrix2000 »

Hi HiFiKabin, I was not aware the situation was that much of a problem and a resolve would be a lot more easier :shock:
If no one else can recommend something else I will have to take that route as a last resort so thanks for the info.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

mrix2000 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:04 am has a notification that does not clear
Oh. You are talking about the Notifications list on the index page, not the Email Notification, which would be in the user's Email client.
Those notifications clear out after a few days. You can control the time limit in the ACP Load Settings.
mrix2000

Post by mrix2000 »

Brf wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:01 pm Oh. You are talking about the Notifications list on the index page, not the Email Notification, which would be in the user's Email client.
Those notifications clear out after a few days. You can control the time limit in the ACP Load Settings.
Hello yes that is correct, unfortunately there appears to be a blip with this one single member whereby the index notification list is not clearing for him, I have already had my notification set to clear in 1 day but this members notification still remains :? :(
Is there another way to clear this rogue private message alert ?
Thanks again
david63

Post by david63 »

I have never tried this as I have never had the need but you could probably delete the offending row from the notifications table in the database, although identifying it may be difficult. If you do try this don't forget to backup the database first.

Out of interest do you know how this came about? Was it by any chance a PM that the sender deleted before the PM was read?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
mrix2000

Post by mrix2000 »

david63 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:36 pm I have never tried this as I have never had the need but you could probably delete the offending row from the notifications table in the database, although identifying it may be difficult. If you do try this don't forget to backup the database first.

Out of interest do you know how this came about? Was it by any chance a PM that the sender deleted before the PM was read?
Hi David, I have no idea how this happened :? , the idea of deleting the notification sounds like a plan but trying to find such a notification :?
If you any idea what table I need to look in and anything that may help the search it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
david63

Post by david63 »

mrix2000 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:28 pm If you any idea what table I need to look in
david63 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:36 pm elete the offending row from the notifications table
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
mrix2000

Post by mrix2000 »

david63 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:33 pm elete the offending row from the notifications table
Opps sorry missed that David :oops:
Will take a look.
Thanks again
mrix2000

Post by mrix2000 »

I have managed to have a good look through the Notifications table and as I know the user ID I could pull up all his recent pm notification tables, however all were marked as read :?
Is there a chance the table could be corrupted and should I just remove all his recent marked as read notifications ?
Is there another table that works side by side the notifications table or is in some way related I could take a look at ?
Thanks for any idea`s

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”