Version 3.3.4 restore doesn't work

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
kooksee

Version 3.3.4 restore doesn't work

Post by kooksee »

Hello
I have a problem with restoring my forum.

I have a working version 3.3.3. I installed on another domain a clean 3.3.4 version.
I backed up the 3.3.3 using the ACP, downloaded on my computer. Upload again in the new store directory (3.3.4). It appers there (under maintenance/ backup/ restore). I press restore, It says is working fine and everything is restored. But except it doesn't. The new forum shows one topic and one user.

I tried to modify something in config.php but I messed up everything.
I read a lot of the topic here on the subject but it didn't help.

I am sure I get that fixed for 5$ on fiverr but I want to understand what is happening.

Thank you
Last edited by Kailey on Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic icon changed
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Version 3.3.4 restore doesn't work

Post by stevemaury »

If you have one topic and one user, it sounds like it was a backup of a fresh install. A backup made in the ACP of one installation will not be visible in the restore function if it is moved to another installation, because each installation is creating a record of the name of the backup file. What is the name of the file as it exists on the 3.3.3 installation and what is its name as it appears in the Restore function of the 3.3.4 installation?

One trick you can use to move an ACP backup between different phpBB installations is to make a backup of a single small table on the target computer, say acl_roles. Then make a full backup on the first computer and rename it the same as the small backup on the target computer. Then rename the backup on the target computer and move the full backup to the target computer's /store folder.

If you are just trying to update 3.3.3 to 3.3.4, there are lots easier ways. Do you want end up with just one 3.3.4 installation?

Please post the contents of the config.php files for each installation, without password.

This may help, too - https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... gphp-file/
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
david63

Post by david63 »

stevemaury wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:53 pm each installation is creating a record of the name of the backup file.
Not sure what you mean by that - where are these records? As far as I am aware the restore lists the backup files found in the store folder.
stevemaury wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:53 pm A backup made in the ACP of one installation will not be visible in the restore function if it is moved to another installation
Again I am not sure what you mean. I have just copied a backup from one installation to another and it is visible as a restore file in the ACP, although I will accept that you may get some unexpected results
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

stevemaury wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:53 pm A backup made in the ACP of one installation will not be visible in the restore function if it is moved to another installation, because each installation is creating a record of the name of the backup file.
I think you're confusing with phpMyAdmin made backups, as these don't have the "phpBB-recognised" header in the beginning of the file.
It's even so that when I want to use a "phpMyAdmin-made" backup for restoring using the ACP, I just need to add the phpBB-backup header and then it will show up in the ACP backups- list.
An ACP backup made on board x is recognised as a valid db-backup on another board and can be restored using the ACP (which doesn't automatically imply that the restored board will function normally as this depends on some board settings (e.g. force server url) + files present (styles, extensions, languages).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
kooksee

Post by kooksee »

stevemaury wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:53 pm

If you are just trying to update 3.3.3 to 3.3.4, there are lots easier ways.
This was more like a test to see if I can restore it in case something goes wrong

And it looks like I can't

so at this moment I have a fresh installed 3.3.4 and a working 3.3.3

How do I move the db from 3.3.3. to 3.3.4?

Through built-in ACP?
invenio

Post by invenio »

Why don't you first do the update from 3.3.3 to 3.3.4 on your working board and then just transfer (or transfer and then do the update)? It seems like you are making this harder by trying to do both at the same time. You can't just restore a database from another version. You have to make sure that the database version is the same as phpBB version.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

david63 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:39 pm
stevemaury wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:53 pm each installation is creating a record of the name of the backup file.
Not sure what you mean by that - where are these records? As far as I am aware the restore lists the backup files found in the store folder.
stevemaury wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:53 pm A backup made in the ACP of one installation will not be visible in the restore function if it is moved to another installation
Again I am not sure what you mean. I have just copied a backup from one installation to another and it is visible as a restore file in the ACP, although I will accept that you may get some unexpected results
My bad. I either misremembered, or it used to be that way, or I've always been wrong. That does seem a little dangerous, because it would be easy to restore the wrong backupo and wipe out the database.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
kooksee

Post by kooksee »

invenio wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:26 pm Why don't you first do the update from 3.3.3 to 3.3.4 on your working board and then
and if something goes wrong during the update?

Thr back up I have doesn't seem to work.
invenio

Post by invenio »

You have to update no matter what. You can't use a 3.3.3 database with a 3.3.4 phpBB. There is a new version of phpBB out every year if not more frequently so you should get used to updating. If you encounter a problem with the update, that is what these support forums are for. I've updated phpBB a dozen times in the past few years,... this is not something you should be afraid of.

The other option is that you can just run the new board on version 3.3.3 of phpBB,... but ultimately I have to presume you want to keep the software up to date so you might as well update as new version are released.
Last edited by invenio on Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

kooksee wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:20 pm Thr back up I have doesn't seem to work.
Why rely on the host for backups?
The phpBB files can always be redownloaded if necessary, or you can backup the files yourself using FTP and you can make a database backup any time you want using the ACP or phpMyAdmin (or Adminer, whatever the host offers).
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

kooksee

Post by kooksee »

invenio wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:24 pm You have to update no matter what. You can't use a 3.3.3 database with a 3.3.4 phpBB. There is a new version of phpBB out every year if not more frequently so you should get used to updating. If you encounter a problem with the update, that is what these support forums are for. I've updated phpBB a dozen times in the past few years,... this is not something you should be afraid of.

The other option is that you can just run the new board on version 3.3.3 of phpBB,... but ultimately I have to presume you want to keep the software up to date so you might as well update as new version are released.

Yes, I definitely want to update.
But I want to have a working back up. What if I delete something accidentaly?

So basicaly I don't understand why my back up file (made through bult in ACP) doesn't work.
If I install a fresh 3.3.3 (even thought is not the last version and not recommended), will it work?

They always say "before any update, back up your files". I did back up, I can't make this back up work. I don't know how could I put it more clear
kooksee

Post by kooksee »

warmweer wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:24 pm

Why rely on the host for backups?
The phpBB files can always be redownloaded if necessary, or you can backup the files yourself using FTP and you can make a database backup any time you want using the ACP or phpMyAdmin (or Adminer, whatever the host offers).
I made the back myself throught ACP and downloaded on my computer. It has nothing to do with host
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

kooksee wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:16 am I made the back myself throught ACP and downloaded on my computer. It has nothing to do with host
So if I understand it correctly, you made a backup of your 3.3.3 and imported that into a new 3.3.4..
If you used the same settings (for your 3.3.4) as for your 3.3.3 then it should work BUT you'll have a 3.3.3 board with 3.3.4 files, and will need to do the database update.

One problem I can imagine you may have is if your 3.3.3 board has extra languages, styles, extensions and you didn't transfer those to your 3.3.4.
Another problem could be if the new board you installed (3.3.4) uses a different table prefix in which case after restoring the 3.3.3 database each table will be doubled: one with the new prefix and just about empty, and a second set with the 3.3.3 prefix.

There is no reason to install a new 3.3.4 anyway.
Use your working 3.3.3 and update according to the documentation (Minor Updates Within 3.3.x). Use the full Package or the Changed Files package and take note of
Important

If you have previously abandoned an update attempt to try a different method, you will need to remove the following files from the server:
store/install_config.php
store/io_lock.lock
So I suggest you check which tables are in the database and if necessary edit your config.php (and delete the unnecessary tables: the new ones) and then do the database update.

kooksee

Post by kooksee »

I don't understand what is
will need to do the database update.
I don't have any extrastyles, no extensions, no language packs, nothing.

the install is fresh, there is no previously attempt

I understand your advice, but if something happens during update (Computer crash etc), I have no working back up. This buggers me.

I should not be so complicated with table prefixes and so on.

Is anybody willing to take it step by step?

Let's say my forum is compromised and I only have on my HDD a back up from April (3.3.3).

How do I restore that?

What is the very first step?
invenio

Post by invenio »

On your current working 3.3.3 board, you basically need to do this:

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... date_full/

Once you do that. You will have phpBB v3.3.4 running with a database version of 3.3.4.

I think we are making this overly complicated. Just get your board running on v3.3.3 from your backups and then do the update to get you to 3.3.4.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”