Version 3.3.4 restore doesn't work

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
kooksee

Re: Version 3.3.4 restore doesn't work

Post by kooksee »

ok, thank you.

I did.

What would be the next step?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

kooksee wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:35 pm ok, thank you.

I did.

What would be the next step?
If currently you only imported the backup into a new database, you need to create a board that accesses that database, then test it to ensure it's fully functional, and then update (which implies uploading the 3.3.4 fileset and then running database update only - see the update instructions).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
kooksee

Post by kooksee »

what do you mean create a bord?

install phpbb? what version?

dB doesn't tell me which version of php I should install
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

kooksee wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:17 pm what do you mean create a bord?

install phpbb? what version?
the version of your database: see the config_table: field version
I you want to access that database using phpBB, you'll need to use the phpBB version mentioned in the database, so you'll need the phpBB files and a config.php pointing to the host/port/database name, database user and password, ow almost forgot also the prefix used for the tables. Use the config.php of the original board if you install the same version at the same location (if you made a backup of the files then you can just use the same fileset and won't need to edit anything).
kooksee wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:17 pmdB doesn't tell me which version of php I should install
Of course it doesn't: the php version you should use depends on the phpBB version: see the requirements: since it's a 3.3.x board you can use php 7.1.3+ up to 7.4.x (I would disadvise using php 8.0.x at this time).
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

kooksee

Post by kooksee »

I you want to access that database using phpBB, you'll need to use the phpBB version mentioned in the database, so you'll need the phpBB files and a config.php pointing to the host/port/database name, database user and password, ow almost forgot also the prefix used for the tables. Use the config.php of the original board if you install the same version at the same location (if you made a backup of the files then you can just use the same fileset and won't need to edit anything).

here are 5 steps, trust me, it's impossible for somebody with limited php experience to follow them

I found a bb_config table but there is no field version

I have this

david63

Post by david63 »

kooksee wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:57 pm I found a bb_config table but there is no field version
You are looking at the table structure - you want that data - click on the Browse tab
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
kooksee

Post by kooksee »

in the browse tab I have this

david63

Post by david63 »

kooksee wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:39 am in the browse tab I have this
And when you page through?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

and that's page 1 containing the first 24 entries (348 in total), the field version will probably be on the last page (or the one before that).
You could also tick "show all" (neglect the warning about the number of records shown).

kooksee

Post by kooksee »

warmweer wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:02 pm
and that's page 1 containing the first 24 entries (348 in total), the field version will probably be on the last page (or the one before that).
You could also tick "show all" (neglect the warning about the number of records shown).

oh, thank you

I found something at the end

I don't know what "delete version" is but I suppose that 3.3.3 is the version of phpbb have.

What do I do next?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Delete is one of the three things you can do to the Version field in the database. The others are Edit and Copy. All three are links in the UI. Ignore the word "Delete". It does not apply to you at this time. And yes, your phpBB version is 3.3.3.

May I respectfully suggest that if, as it seems, your issue requires you to work directly with the database and config.php, and if, as you say, you cannot understand the instructions, you may presently lack the skill set necessary to proceed?

Perhaps you need to get hands-on help by posting in the Wanted! forum. Although we are happy to continue to do our best here in your topic.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

stevemaury wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:52 pm May I respectfully suggest that if, as it seems, your issue requires you to work directly with the database and config.php, and if, as you say, you cannot understand the instructions, you may presently lack the skill set necessary to proceed?

Perhaps you need to get hands-on help by posting in the Wanted! forum. Although we are happy to continue to do our best here in your topic.
@kooksee
Looking at this objectively, I'ld have to agree with stevemaury. The 2 "issues" with phpMYAdmin (not seeing the next page and asking what that Delete is).
Don't take this personally, everyone has to start somewhere but with phpMyadmin (certainly) or file actions with FTP you could really mess up your board (almost) beyond repair.

The problem currently mentioned concerns version 3.3.4.
If that problems wasn't there using phpBB 3.3.3, the I'ld contemplate going back to 3.3.3 (that is if you have a database backup from before the update to 3.3.4).

Please fill in and post the Support Request Template which will allow a better assessment of how to continue.

kooksee

Post by kooksee »

My whole point is that to restore a backup is much more complicated than is presented.

I think this topic belongs here for this very reason: I have a DB-Backup and I want to restore it on the current version of phpbb which is 3.3.4. The fact that we stumbled upon 3.3.3 is an intermediate phase, the aim is to restore 3.3.4.

So basically, the current state of affairs: I found out what version of DB I have (i.e. 3.3.3).

I suppose the next step is to instal phpbb 3.3.3

If you think is to easy, or we use technical concepts I should know (even I don't) I understand. I will pay 5$ to some random guy on fiverr but in this case this forum failed its mission.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

No, you have to upload 3.3.3 files to your server. (not install a 3.3.3 board)
Than edit a existing config.php file with the new database settings and upload it to the server.
Or make a new confog.php file see: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... gphp-file/
My whole point is that to restore a backup is much more complicated than is presented.
Restoring a backup is simple but you want to make a new/testing board with your backup and that is more complex than only restoring your backup
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
kooksee

Post by kooksee »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:20 pm
No, you have to upload 3.3.3 files to your server. (not install a 3.3.3 board)
Than edit a existing config.php file with the new database settings and upload it to the server.
Or make a new confog.php file see: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... gphp-file/
Restoring a backup is simple but you want to make a new/testing board with your backup and that is more complex than only restoring your backup
Thank you, I am uploading now the 3.3.3

I want to restore a back up. The problem is that the backup I had was done with ACP from 3.3.3 and this info (that the backup is depending on the version) is probably self understood for you guys but I didn't know.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”