Unregistered users only see 2 of six categories on main page

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Techeenot

Unregistered users only see 2 of six categories on main page

Post by Techeenot »

Did we miss something in the documentation? Is this normal? If it is, can we change it somewhere in the ACP?

In our phpBB implementation, there are a total of six categories presented on our main page. However when we first navigate to the main page as administrator only two categories are visible. When we log in as administrator all six categories display and all is good. When a potential new user first reaches the site (before registering) they too only see the first two categories of a total of six categories. That seems very odd. Why can't everybody see all six categories before registering or signing in? In our case we would like our unregistered users to see all six categories to help convince them they should sign-up.

Thanks to all for any insights.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Unregistered users only see 2 of six categories on main page

Post by stevemaury »

Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Techeenot

Post by Techeenot »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.3.4
What is your board's URL? http://takingbackamerica.us
Who do you host your board with? Bluehost
How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What extensions do you have installed? Display links in external window
Enforce Guest User Names
Pages (not enabled)
What styles do you currently have installed? Default prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Just installed board. Fresh install.
Please describe your problem. In our phpBB implementation, there are a total of six "categories" (not forums) on the main page. When we first navigate to the board (pre login) only two of the six categories display. When we log in as administrator all six categories display and all is good. However, when a potential new user first navigates to the site (before registering) they too only see the first two categories of a total of six categories. That seems very odd. Why can't they see all six categories staring off? We would certainly like our unregistered users to see all six categories to help convince them they should sign-up.
Generated by SRT Generator
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Go into ACP >> Permissions tab >> Click link forum Permissions on left >> Check "all forums and submit >> Click the first group under manage groups to highlight it(typically administrators) >> Scroll down to last group, hold shift and click it. >> All groups should now be highlighted, click edit permissions.

This will give you overview for the permissions set on each forum for each group. Use rolls to assign permissions, make sure each group has a role assigned.

Adjust the permissions of the role to suit your needs or create custom role if you need too. Roles can be edited or added by clicking the link "Forum roles" on the left.
Last edited by thecoalman on Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Rolls :?:
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Visitors to the site can see any forums that the guest group has the ability to see.

permissions
group forum permissions
guests
choose the forums you want
read only

By the way you should rethink your forum layout. It's waaaaaay too complicated. I'm sure you want to cover all the bases but you just end up with dozens of empty forums. Much better to keep it broad and then if you get a lot of posts about one school, make a forum for that one.6 or 7 clicks to get down to a forum you can actually post in is not easily navigable for your users.10 forums with 100 posts each is much better than 100 forums with 10 posts each.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Techeenot

Post by Techeenot »

The coalman's advice worked. I made a wrong assumption about applying permissions. It's all good now.

Case closed.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

This may be of help - phpBB3 Permissions
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

3Di wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:30 amRolls :?:
They are very tasty. :D
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”