Topic Icon In UCP Front Page

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
GTI
Name: Laura

Topic Icon In UCP Front Page

Post by GTI »

In ucp_main_front.html I see this code

Code: Select all

<dt <!-- IF topicrow.TOPIC_ICON_IMG -->style="background-image: url({T_ICONS_PATH}{topicrow.TOPIC_ICON_IMG}); background-repeat: no-repeat;"<!-- ENDIF -->>
This is supposed to show the topic icons on the main page of the UCP, for example ucp.php?

They don't seem to show, I can see them on other pages including bookmarks and pm folders but just not that one. I have tried globals, stickies, announcements and the code does not seem to activate.

Is there a setting to turn them on or off for that specific page?

Or is that code redundant and not been removed?

Style is prosilver.
Most of us will enjoy Christmas in the comfort of our own homes this year, however, sadly, that can't be said for people in the Ukraine who are suffering day after day, due to the Russian invasion.

If you would like to make a small donation to help Ukrainians in their time of need, you can donate to help all Ukrainians via BritishRedCross or you can donate to help the Ukrainian children via Unicef. πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦ Thank You πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦
rxu
Extensions Development Team

Re: Topic Icon In UCP Front Page

Post by rxu »

That code is for gathering board global announcements and output to help user reading them, as UCP front page explanation text says Please ensure you read any announcements before continuing. :)
GTI

Post by GTI »

rxu wrote: ↑Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:30 am That code is for gathering board global announcements and output to help user reading them, as UCP front page explanation text says Please ensure you read any announcements before continuing. :)
Hiya this code is for topic icons, if you remove this line the page doesn't change,

My question is that it contains code which indicates topic icons are displayed on the global announcements shown on that page, but i cant get them to show,

(topic icons are those little radioactive / exclamation icons you can choose from above the subject line in post editor)
Most of us will enjoy Christmas in the comfort of our own homes this year, however, sadly, that can't be said for people in the Ukraine who are suffering day after day, due to the Russian invasion.

If you would like to make a small donation to help Ukrainians in their time of need, you can donate to help all Ukrainians via BritishRedCross or you can donate to help the Ukrainian children via Unicef. πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦ Thank You πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

What rxu, a former developer of phpBB, is saying is that in order for the UCP to remind you to read Announcements, it looks at topic icons, because announcements have unique topic icons. If you remove that code, and there is an announcement, you will not get the UCP reminder.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
GTI

Post by GTI »

stevemaury wrote: ↑Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:53 am What rxu, a former developer of phpBB, is saying
Please leave don't insult, there is a chance rxu may not have understood exactly what i was reffering to.

The point me, an average phpbB user is making is regarding topic icons on that specific page.

To break it down,

1 - The topic icons used on global announcement topics do not show up in ucp_main_front.html

2 - But the topic icons used on global announcement topics do show up on other UCP pages, like ucp_main_bookmarks.html and ucp_main_subscribed.html.

3 - ucp_main_front.html template has the code in it that is used in those other UCP pages to display the topic icons - so those topic icons should also display in the ucp_main_front.html template.

4 - Here is the part of the code that I am referring to

Code: Select all

<!-- IF topicrow.TOPIC_ICON_IMG -->style="background-image: url({T_ICONS_PATH}{topicrow.TOPIC_ICON_IMG}); background-repeat: no-repeat;"<!-- ENDIF -->
5 - If that code is removed the announcements do still show up and that is because the code is simply for a background image.

That means that this if statement <!-- IF topicrow.TOPIC_ICON_IMG --> does not work in the ucp_main_front.html template file.

I've been back to phpBB 3.1.5 and the situation is the same with that too.

So what I'm trying to find out is,

Is this a feature that was removed way back before phpBB 3.1.5 and someone has just forgotten to remove that bit of code from the ucp_main_front.html template?

Or is it a bug?

Because the code would not have been put in the template for no reason.

rxu
Extensions Development Team

Post by rxu »

GTI wrote: ↑Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:19 pm Is this a feature that was removed way back before phpBB 3.1.5 and someone has just forgotten to remove that bit of code from the ucp_main_front.html template?

Or is it a bug?
Ah, now I see what do you mean. Indeed, just looked into the ucp_main.php and found out topic icons output just have not been implemented on PHP side. Adding relevant code makes global announcement icons displayed on UCP front page at my local test board.

You can file a bug to the phpBB bug tracker https://tracker.phpbb.com if you want and I guess I could send pull request to the repo to fix the issue.
GTI

Post by GTI »

rxu wrote: ↑Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:41 pm Ah, now I see what do you mean. Indeed, just looked into the ucp_main.php and found out topic icons output just have not been implemented on PHP side. Adding relevant code makes global announcement icons displayed on UCP front page at my local test board.

You can file a bug to the phpBB bug tracker https://tracker.phpbb.com if you want and I guess I could send pull request to the repo to fix the issue.
Thanks for taking the time to check rxu,
I only noticed as i was attempting to move the icons into their own column, i will file the tracker later,

On the point of icons, is there a way to get the pm icons to display on the view pm message template? Next to H3 like on the viewtopic page?

Return to β€œ[3.3.x] Support Forum”