Default Signature For Group

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
DBG1

Default Signature For Group

Post by DBG1 »

Is there any way to set a default signature for all members of a user group at the admin level and which the members of the group will not be able to change?
david63

Re: Default Signature For Group

Post by david63 »

No - you would need an extension to do that
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
DBG1

Post by DBG1 »

Thank you. Is there any extension for this or any extension at all that can set any kind of default signature for all users?
david63

Post by david63 »

DBG1 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:21 pm Thank you. Is there any extension for this or any extension at all that can set any kind of default signature for all users?
I cannot recall having seen one, but that is not to say that there isn't one on some other site
David

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
DBG1

Post by DBG1 »

I have done lots of searches and I have not found one myself unfortunately.

Is there perhaps an easy way to hard code the signature into our main site code?
david63

Post by david63 »

DBG1 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:43 pm Is there perhaps an easy way to hard code the signature into our main site code?
I doubt it.

What is the objective of having a "group signature"? There may be alternatives
David

DBG1

Post by DBG1 »

No problem. Thank you. We have found a good interim solution. We created the standard signature as BBCode and now we can set the standard signature for any user just using the BBCode.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Easy enough to give a signature to all members of a group, but what if they are in more than one group? Anyway:

Code: Select all

UPDATE phpbb_users SET user_sig = 'whatever' WHERE user_id IN(SELECT user_id FROM phpbb_user_group WHERE group_id = X)
Harder to keep them from changing it. If it were my board, I would just tell them not to change their signature.

But, you can make it difficult by:

Backup styles/prosilver/template/ucp_prosile_signature

OPEN styles/prosilver/template/ucp_prosile_signature

FIND:

<form id="postform" method="post" action="{S_UCP_ACTION}"{S_FORM_ENCTYPE}>
BEFORE, ADD:

<!-- IF U_ACP or U_MCP -->
FIND:

</fieldset>
</form>
AFTER, ADD:

<!-- ENDIF -->
If your table prefix is not phpbb_ change accordingly.

Purge the cache.

This will remove the signature form from the UCP for all but Admins and Moderators. Not tested. You would also have to run the SQL every time you add a new user to a group. Your interim solution (which I learned of after writing the above) may be better.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
DBG1

Post by DBG1 »

Thank you for the code. Our biggest problem was that we sometimes change the wording of the standard signature and then would needed to change hundreds of signatures each time. And of course the number of site users is always growing as well. So the task of changing the standard signature gets heavier on a site as time goes on. So by creating a standard signature using some hidden BBCode we can then change everyone's signature when we want to with just one quick text edit. It's actually a really good solution and we haven't had problems with members changing their signatures in the past thankfully. Also, easy enough to send a warning if it ever becomes a problem. The only task we have right now is to change all existing signatures to the new BBCode, but this will be a final one-time investment and then done. It will also reduce the load on site resources if all signatures are loading from just one repeating set of BBC.
david63

Post by david63 »

I would question why you would have a "common" signature for hundreds of users, why not just set the permission for a group to no signature?
David

DBG1

Post by DBG1 »

Signatures can be used for providing additional information in many ways. So we find it quite useful to be able to control and make use of them. Thank you also for the suggestion to set the group permissions to no signature. This will now prevent members from being able to change their signatures after we set them with BBCode it seems. I used to think setting the group permissions to no signature would prevent a signature from showing at all for members of a group, but it doesn't. This is great. Admins can now set signatures now for certain groups and members can't change them, but they will still be visible on the site.
DBG1

Post by DBG1 »

Sorry, I think I made a mistake when I posted earlier. It seems when we disable signature permission for a group then the signature set by an Admin for a member will not show. I thought it would still show, but now I realize it doesn't.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”