PHP version Error message

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
hewmac06
Former Team Member
Name: Hugh

PHP version Error message

Post by hewmac06 »

The above error message was coming up occasionally after upgrading when opening my board, others reported this too - refreshing seems to fix it. Odd thing is it first appeared a couple of weeks ago AFTER I upgraded my board from 3.2.8 to 3.3.4 And updated my PHP version from 7.1.33 to 7.4.16 I've switched back to PHP 7.1.33 and again the same error message randomly appears - PHP8 is not an option.

I realise this error is mentioned HERE but it didn't apply to my board when I upgraded. (Sleep time here)
https://www.threetowners.net/forum/
Last edited by hewmac06 on Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: PHP version Error message

Post by stevemaury »

What does install/phpinfo.php think the version is? What does PHP information in the ACP say?
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
hewmac06
Former Team Member

Post by hewmac06 »

stevemaury wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:40 pm What does install/phpinfo.php think the version is? What does PHP information in the ACP say?
install/phpinfo.php result: PHP 7.1.3 bear in mind I was having the same random error message with PHP 7.4 before switched back to PHP 7.1.33

ACP
hewmac06
Former Team Member

Post by hewmac06 »

This is still randomly recurring.

Reply from Hosts in part:
Although we cannot provide application assistance, we have tested our server to ensure your hosting environment operates as it should.

Even though the error relates to a PHP version, if you cannot get a solution from the software developer, you can roll back your site to a working state using our automatic backups
they agree our board is running on PHP 7.1.33
Any thoughts on what to try before considering rolling back - never done that before.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

phpBB 3.3.4 requires => 7.2 so upgrade php.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

hewmac06 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:08 am they agree our board is running on PHP 7.1.33
Also review PHP Supported Versions because PHP 7.1 reached end of life 1 Dec 2019 (18 months ago). Using older versions may expose you to security vulnerabilities and bugs that have been fixed in more recent versions of PHP.

Does your website have any other PHP applications running and therefore is it possible that different PHP versions are being used by different parts of your website?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
hewmac06
Former Team Member

Post by hewmac06 »

stevemaury wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:47 am phpBB 3.3.4 requires => 7.2 so upgrade php.
Steve,
Can't make PHP 7.2 current. I can only use PHP 7.1.33 and 7.4.20 I've re-chosen 7.4.20 we'll see what happens, though it gave the same error before.
P_I wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:01 am Does your website have any other PHP applications running and therefore is it possible that different PHP versions are being used by different parts of your website?
No, this is the only application on the website.
hewmac06
Former Team Member

Post by hewmac06 »

I'm back again! I've updated my board from 3.3.4 to 3.3.5 hoping this random problem would go away, but it remains:

I've put a test board up on the same server and it's occurring there at the same time. Never know when the next click will throw up the above error.
Anyone out there with an insight into this problem?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

tbyun wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:33 am i thought phpbb 3.3.5 requires < 7.3
335/docs/install wrote: * PHP 7.1.3+ up to and including PHP 7.4 with support for the database you intend to use.
As to PHP 8:
phpBB 3.3.3 Release wrote: We are pleased to announce the release of phpBB 3.3.3 "Bertie Triple Distilled". This version is a maintenance release of the 3.3.x branch which adds support for MySQL 8 and PHP 8, and resolves various issues reported in previous versions.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

stevemaury wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:47 am phpBB 3.3.4 requires => 7.2 ...
That's a typo for sure.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
hewmac06
Former Team Member

Post by hewmac06 »

With respect, I'm looking for guidance from those knowledgeable on how to fix this problem for my community.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

The only part of the phpBB core code where this error could thrown is located in
ROOT\includes\startup.php

Code: Select all

/**
* Minimum Requirement: PHP 7.1.3
*/
if (version_compare(PHP_VERSION, '7.1.3', '<'))
{
	die('You are running an unsupported PHP version. Please upgrade to PHP 7.1.3 or higher before trying to install or update to phpBB 3.3');
}
Another one is located in the install logic, which in your case is not worth to be mentioned.

So, well. This is something your host should solve. We are checking if one of the predefined PHP constants (PHP_VERSION) is the one we want it to be true, aka greater than that. If this is false then the logic triggers that error, simple s it is. Asking your host seems to me your best bet.
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

hewmac06 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:33 pm With respect, I'm looking for guidance from those knowledgeable on how to fix this problem for my community.
Using the URL from your signature it seems like you are wrapping the actual phpBB forum inside some other framework or structure. Taking a wild guess based on that, perhaps that's causing an inconsistency of which PHP version is being used for the forum. Is there any way to reach the forum directly?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
hewmac06
Former Team Member

Post by hewmac06 »

I disabled the board's "Contact Admin" link due to spam - my signature on the board points to the contact form from my home site (.com).
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

hewmac06 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:26 pm ...
viewtopic.php?p=15776741#p15776741

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”