Bulk Email Line Length Restriction

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
halil16
Name: Halil

Bulk Email Line Length Restriction

Post by halil16 »

This problem has been around for a long time, I've known. I didn't write it, but now it bothers me.

The article I send mass e-mails to members is broken. In other words, it divides the text into lines according to its own measure. Therefore, extra spaces are created on devices with small screens.

This is a problem for me in terms of order.

1.jpg
2.jpg
Last edited by halil16 on Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* Hire me at fiverr for your phpBB board.
"The day we will need ideas more than possessions, we will find the secret to true wealth." - Peyami Safa
I'm learning English...
Contributions: #Hashtag, Elegance, Latte
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: AutoLine Distorted Emails

Post by stevemaury »

What is "Autoline"?
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
halil16

Post by halil16 »

Excuse me, I use Google Translate and sometimes it doesn't translate as I want. In other words, when I write plain text with no carriage returns, the system returns a carriage return after a certain length. This text is distorted on small screen devices. I tried to show this in the demo pictures.
"The day we will need ideas more than possessions, we will find the secret to true wealth." - Peyami Safa
I'm learning English...
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

halil16 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:30 amwhen I write plain text with no carriage returns, the system returns a carriage return after a certain length
That is expected behaviour for decades already: RFC 5322 § 2.1.1 (current form of RFT 2822 from 2001) clearly tells you plaintext e-mail lines have a limit, and phpBB enforces it by breaking after 75 or more octals. Not following this standard risks that one of the MTAs that route your e-mail won't process it (and might perform that linebreak themselves). I'm pretty sure the line length limit stems from the 1970s.

Please edit your first post's subject, so this topic title makes more sense. I.e. "e-mail line length restriction".
Last edited by AmigoJack on Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
halil16

Post by halil16 »

Thank you. I think phpBB emails works fine, but could be much better with minor tweaks. Like this simple problem.
I'm learning English...
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Bulk Email Line Length Restriction

Post by stevemaury »

You don't understand. This is not a phpBB issue. phpBB follows an industry wide, decades old standard and practice limiting plain text emails to 75 octals ±. If you want to solve the problem, attach the document as .pdf
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
HaioPaio

Post by HaioPaio »

The solution would be HTML emails. However, I agree, this is a support forum for the software "as is".
Nevertheless, it seems to be appropriate to call the software poor in that limited respect.
www.der-räuchertreff.de phpBB 3.3.x php 7.4
david63

Post by david63 »

HaioPaio wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:49 pm it seems to be appropriate to call the software poor in that limited respect.
How can you call the software "poor" just because it complies with industry standards - if it didn't comply then your assertion would be correct. Maybe the standards are wrong and need updating - but that is something for discussing in another place.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
HaioPaio

Post by HaioPaio »

Would this length limitation apply to html emails?
www.der-räuchertreff.de phpBB 3.3.x php 7.4
SpIdErPiGgY
Name: Andy Dm

Post by SpIdErPiGgY »

phpBB NL Extension translations, also on request.
--> Click Here: Myarea51secrets.com <--
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

HaioPaio wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:45 pmWould this length limitation apply to html emails?
It applies to every text payload. But looking from another angle at the situation you'll notice that HTML is immune to whitespaces (such as linebreaks). Again this is basic knowledge, ripe of 28 years.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”