I'm lost with what I want to create

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
bitsmith

I'm lost with what I want to create

Post by bitsmith »

I want to create an author's forum list solution.

I want the Forums list, such as:

Rules and How-To
Stories
-- An actual Story
-----Chapter of Story
------Comments
-----Chapter 2 of Story
------Comments
-- Another Author's Story
-----Chapter of Story
------Comments
-----Chapter 2 of Story
------Comments
etc.

I want permissions to be:

Guests and anonymous can only read the Rules and How-To section (for now)
Registered users / Readers can read the stories and leave comments. After 25 comments, they become 'Authors'.
I would like Authors to be able to create a story, add chapters, reply to comments. An author is the owner of the story and the chapters. Only they can edit or change the story or chapter level.

Another level I would like to create are Mentoring Authors. Mentoring authors can leave a comment, flagged somehow as a mentoring comment and it be at the top of the comments.

How can I make this structure happen and give the appropriate groups and permissions?

Thanks

BS
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: I'm lost with what I want to create

Post by stevemaury »

You will be using Group forum permissions

Guests - Read only access role for Rules and How-to, No access for other forums

Registered users - Read only for stories and chapters

For Comments, something like this:
Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 1.37.03 PM.jpg
For Authors, Full access role (+ polls, if desired)

Use this extension to automatically add Registered users to the Authors group after 25 comments (the only posts they can make) - viewtopic.php?f=676&t=2555611

For Mentoring authors, add permission "Can post stickies". They will hve to do that - no way to automate all posts being sticky by group.

You will want to create roles for the permissions for these groups, except Guests and Authors (those roles already exist).
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Rules and How-To
Stories
-- An actual Story
-----Chapter of Story
------Comments
-----Chapter 2 of Story
------Comments
-- Another Author's Story
-----Chapter of Story
------Comments
-----Chapter 2 of Story
------Comments
You have Rules and How-To + Stories at the same level, so those would be Categories
An actual Story and Another Author's Story are the next level and would be forums
The Chapters would be subforums and Comments the subsubforums (if you want to stay with that hierarchy).

However on the index page you'll only see down to the subforums and won't see the subsubforums until you go down to the level of subforums. (there is a way with some custom coding to see the whole structure but your index will be seriously overloaded).

Personally, I would keep Chapter and Comments at the same level. You can make Chapters stand out by making them Announcements or Stickies. or even even using the Topic Cement extension. It's a matter of your own preference.

I suggest you make a temporary and hidden Category allowing you to experiment with various configurations.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Let me use BBCode to format what you want (quote this post to see the BBCode):
  • Rules and How-To
  • Stories
    • An actual Story
      • Chapter of Story
        • Comments
      • Chapter 2 of Story
        • Comments
    • Another Author's Story
      • Chapter of Story
        • Comments
      • Chapter 2 of Story
        • Comments
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”