Search result tag line questions....

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
CPTOM

Search result tag line questions....

Post by CPTOM »

When I type my forum domain into google (or Bing), there is no tag line. The prominent purple link just says "www.forumname.com --Index Page" What do I need to do to have a tag line appear in the big purple letters, something like "A great place to talk about xyz" etc.? For example, if you google CNN, the big result link says "CNN--Breaking News, Latest News and Video" How do I get a tag line like that to show up for my forum?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Search result tag line questions....

Post by Mick »

Normally whatever you have in site name and site description in the ACP board settings will show up in a search similar to:

————————————————————————————————————-

This is my site name

This is my site description blah blah blah de blah . . .

————————————————————————————————————-

Is that what you mean? If that’s not happening can we have a link to your board please?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

For the text that appears below the link in a search result Google (and other search engines) will typically use the meta-description. They may at times ignore them or if none is provided use some other content on the page.

phpBB doesn't have them but there is an extension for this.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... _metadata/
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
CPTOM

Post by CPTOM »

To close the loop on this question, I stumbled across the answer on my own, and suddenly realized what Mick was trying to tell me...

If you go to ACP>board settings> and enter something in the "Site name" and "Board index text" boxes, then google will show those results (after a few days anyway). If you leave Board index text blank, google will add "--index page" after the forum name instead. So that 'Board index text' is your chance to concisely describe your forum to google searchers...

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”