Remote Avatar Problem

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Pfizz

Remote Avatar Problem

Post by Pfizz »

I am running phpbb version 3.3.0 for quite a while already and I just started having remote avatar issues. I get the following error message when trying to link any remote avatar:

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct.

I actually never had a problem with this before, but earlier today I uploaded an avatar directly to my server and then tried to link it as a remote avatar to a new account. The file was a bit above the size limitation of what I have the Maximum avatar file size set to in ACP. But right after that remote avatar linking failed is when the problem started when trying to link any remote avatars at all.

I tried fixing it by removing all the Avatar settings in ACP for Minimum and Maximum avatar dimensions and also removing the Maximum avatar file size. So I set everything to "0" and then cleared the cache, but this didn't fix the problem.

But even though I can't add any new remote avatars now, all existing remote avatars that were already added by members in the past appear to be still working. So I just can't add any new ones. I have also tried with both jpg and png remote avatar files and neither one works for this either.

I also have a full site backup from yesterday, so I could roll back any core phpbb files individually that might be causing this conflict, but I wouldn't know which files to roll back.

UPDATE:

Truth is stranger than fiction. I did a test by uploading the same avatar file (the one I was trying to use as a remove avatar before) into a subdomain directory on my server and then entered this subdomain URL for the remote avatar and then this worked and was accepted by ACP.

But now, if I try to go back to inserting the original remote avatar URL, the one I was trying to insert before, which is an avatar in the root directory on my server, I no longer get the same error message above about dimensions of the image. Instead I get an error message saying The URL you specified is invalid., yet nothing has changed about that avatar file or the URL.

In fact, this avatar in the root directory on the server is already linked to a couple of other existing member accounts as a remote avatar and those accounts still load that avatar and also don't have any URL invalid error.

So what I am trying to figure out now is:

1 - Why will it only accept remote avatars that are not placed in the root directory (when this was never a problem before)?

2 - And why did it go from saying the URL of the file in the root directory has a dimension issue to saying that the URL is invalid when in fact the URL is correct?

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”