[Solved] Updated from 3.0.x --> 3.3.4, cannot see forums

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
david63

Re: Updated from 3.0.x --> 3.3.4, cannot see forums

Post by david63 »

TC wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:58 pm is it trivial to do a fresh install then only restore the users and posts?
No it is not trivial - in fact just restoring those two tables will have you in a worse state than you. Many tables in phpBB are interlinked and if you do not maintain that linking you will break your board.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

david63 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:01 pm
TC wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:58 pm is it trivial to do a fresh install then only restore the users and posts?
No it is not trivial - in fact just restoring those two tables will have you in a worse state than you. Many tables in phpBB are interlinked and if you do not maintain that linking you will break your board.
yeah i supposed that was poorly worded. i am comfortable doing the work, with some guidance from someone more experienced with databases than i. so let me rephrase - is there a way to extract the content of a board and restore it to a fresh install without risk of corruption or other weirdness that would be worse than i am experiencing now? i'm happy to do that, if so. but to your point, don't want to shoot myself in the foot. appreciate the feedback.
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

It would probably be simpler to do a parallel install and then copy over the acl tables.
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

Brf wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:16 pm It would probably be simpler to do a parallel install and then copy over the acl tables.
right. but assuming i manually make the changes to permissions and roles - and that works as expected - i don't know that this alone solves anything. again, maybe over-thinking this, but i'm assuming there may be other issues in the db i haven't encountered yet. guess i'll find out.

truly appreciate everyone's replies and feedback here. even though i don't come around much anymore, it's good to see the phpBB community is still kicking the llama's ass.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

I get the impression that something went wrong with STK while cleaning up the DB. Do you have a backup of 3.0.x? I've run dozens of upgrades with no problems.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

3Di wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:26 pm I get the impression that something went wrong with STK while cleaning up the DB. Do you have a backup of 3.0.x? I've run dozens of upgrades with no problems.
i do have a backup from prior to running stk.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

TC wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:33 pm i do have a backup from prior to running stk.
The tables

Code: Select all

phpbb_acl_groups       - Permission roles and/or individual permissions assigned to groups
phpbb_acl_options      - List of possible permissions
phpbb_acl_roles          - Permission roles (Standard Moderator, Simple Moderator etc.)
phpbb_acl_roles_data  - Permissions each role contains
phpbb_acl_users          - Permission roles and/or individual permissions assigned to users 
are involved, can you bump those tables (from the backup) to a file to investigate.
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

3Di wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:48 pm
TC wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:33 pm i do have a backup from prior to running stk.
The tables

Code: Select all

phpbb_acl_groups       - Permission roles and/or individual permissions assigned to groups
phpbb_acl_options      - List of possible permissions
phpbb_acl_roles          - Permission roles (Standard Moderator, Simple Moderator etc.)
phpbb_acl_roles_data  - Permissions each role contains
phpbb_acl_users          - Permission roles and/or individual permissions assigned to users 
are involved, can you bump those tables (from the backup) to a file to investigate.
sure, but what am i looking for?
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

TC wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:53 pm sure, but what am i looking for?
You probably nothing, I would like to investigate them if you don't mind.
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

3Di wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:09 pm
TC wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:53 pm sure, but what am i looking for?
You probably nothing, I would like to investigate them if you don't mind.
PM'd.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

The roles in your backup (3.0.12) are practically all custom and none original, so it goes without saying that we are faced with a rather difficult situation to manage. A strategy should be worked out, I'll let you know as soon as I come up with an idea.
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

3Di wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:55 pm The roles in your backup (3.0.12) are practically all custom and none original, so it goes without saying that we are faced with a rather difficult situation to manage. A strategy should be worked out, I'll let you know as soon as I come up with an idea.
much appreciated. again, i'm fine with going through and re-building the permissions on all the groups if necessary, wouldn't take more than an hour. i'm just hoping the quirks uncovered in this thread aren't indicative of a larger problem, but i suppose time will tell. thank you again for having a look!
TC
Former Team Member

Re: [Solved] Updated from 3.0.x --> 3.3.4, cannot see forums

Post by TC »

i manually went through and re-set all permissions, copying from a fresh install of a different board. everything seems to be working so far, so i will mark this as solved. once again i really appreciate the help and extra set of eyes given by folks here. thank you again.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”