[Solved] Updated from 3.0.x --> 3.3.4, cannot see forums

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Updated from 3.0.x --> 3.3.4, cannot see forums

Post by KevC »

hmm... then I'm a bit stumped unless anyone else has an idea.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

Make sure Exempt group leader from permissions isn't checked for the registered users group, as then group leaders won't get the permissions.
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

"Exempt group leader" was checked. I unchecked it, no change in behavior.

This seems odd - I have "Registered users" set to "Standard access", but when I click "Advanced Permissions" to view, everything is still "No":
Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 8.44.10 AM.png
Is this as expected?
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

Same with Administrators and "Full Access":
Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 8.47.16 AM.png
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

OK, so if i ignore the built-in access roles and manually change everything to "Yes", i can see the fora. Hm. Something is borked... I mean, yes I can go through and manually set permissions for all the groups - tedious but seems like it will work - but my concern is that this is a symptom of something else being broken. So still looking for ideas and guidance here.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Have a look at the default roles in the permissions page. Are they all set to no as well?
Bottom of the menu, pick a forum and then scroll to the very bottom to see what the roles are set on.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Looking at your last image something isn’t right there, I’ve just checked a standard install and that page should be all yes except can lock own topics which is set to no. Are you able to revert? If so I can only suggest you revert (try it on a desktop machine using XAMP etc. if you like) but do it in increments, 3.0> 3.1 using file replacement, check if it’s ok and if it is you should then be able to go straight to 3.3.

Older versions of phpBB can be found here.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

KevC wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:02 pm Have a look at the default roles in the permissions page. Are they all set to no as well?
Bottom of the menu, pick a forum and then scroll to the very bottom to see what the roles are set on.
sorry, what exactly do you want to see? not clear.
Mick wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:08 pm Looking at your last image something isn’t right there, I’ve just checked a standard install and that page should be all yes except can lock own topics which is set to no. Are you able to revert? If so I can only suggest you revert (try it on a desktop machine using XAMP etc. if you like) but do it in increments, 3.0> 3.1 using file replacement, check if it’s ok and if it is you should then be able to go straight to 3.3.

Older versions of phpBB can be found here.
yeah i thought about maybe just doing a clean install then trying to restore users and posts to the relevant tables. but having difficulty extracting the backup i made (via phpBB) prior to upgrade. even though it's .sql.gz, everything i try tells me it's not a gzip format/archive. ugh. but, theoretically, the users and posts are still in a table somewhere. i could make a new backup of the relevant tables, do a clean install, then dump the contents back into the relevant tables...
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

permissions
forum roles
click the green cog next to 'standard access'
then scroll to the bottom of the page and it'll show you what standard access actually means in terms of which permissions are set to yes/no/never.
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

KevC wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:29 pm permissions
forum roles
click the green cog next to 'standard access'
then scroll to the bottom of the page and it'll show you what standard access actually means in terms of which permissions are set to yes/no/never.
OK thank you, got it. Everything is "No". If you ask me whether or not I changed the roles previously, I couldn't tell you. I've been running this site for nearly 20 years lol, have probably done lots of weird stuff over the years. So it seems this may be self-inflicted? If I change the roles to expected/desired values in this section, I should still be able to use built-in roles, correct?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Yes.
That's the set that the drop down uses when you select it.

As Mick said, the first page of that should be all yes except for can lock own topic.
There might be a database query available to reset them all if you try a search.
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

KevC wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:36 pm There might be a database query available to reset them all if you try a search.
that would be ideal. though if there is a guide showing what default permissions are for each group, i'm happy to set them manually.

still odd behavior that the trace doesn't show me in registered users though. i'm a little concerned about this, but i suppose if no other symptoms ever show themselves, it's no big deal. just wondering how realistic an idea it is to do a clean install then restore the users/posts content to a new db, or if that is just asking for trouble...
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

I don't think there's a guide because essentially you can set what you like.
You could do a fresh installation and open browser windows next to each other and just work your way through replicating the options.

I'm totally stumped as to why the reg user group isn't showing.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

TC wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:40 pm still odd behavior that the trace doesn't show me in registered users though.
That was because the "Exempt group leader" was checked.

It sounds like your acl_roles_data table didn't get filled. The statements for that are in install/schemas/schema_data_sql on line 557-632. But if those were skipped, there are probably other things missing too.
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

Brf wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:54 pm
TC wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:40 pm still odd behavior that the trace doesn't show me in registered users though.
That was because the "Exempt group leader" was checked.

It sounds like your acl_roles_data table didn't get filled. The statements for that are in install/schemas/schema_data_sql on line 557-632. But if those were skipped, there are probably other things missing too.
right. this is my concern. so thinking outloud again - is it trivial to do a fresh install then only restore the users and posts? i'm thinking prior mods have done some db alterations that are likely causing lingering issues. i can go through permission and keep putting bandages on this, but wondering if it might be more advisable to try to start fresh. just don't want to lose 20 years of users and content.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”