Forum not sending PM notifications by e-mail

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Woop

Forum not sending PM notifications by e-mail

Post by Woop »

Hi all,

My PHPBB forum v. 3.3.5 will not send e-mail notifications for PMs, even though by default all users have the setting for e-mail notifications for PMs enabled. I am using a gmail address. E-mails are sent fine from that address for user registration and activation.

Not sure if I'm missing some setting here.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
W
richxrich
Name: Rich

Re: Forum not sending PM notifications by e-mail

Post by richxrich »

There doesn't seem to be an answer to this question. I haven't received any notifications of new registrations, PMs, etc. for some time now.

I've used gmail, yahoo, and other emails. At the suggestion of a support member here, I created a host-provided email in the event google or yahoo were blocking the emails via their spam filters. Unfortunately, this didn't solve the problem. I'm at a loss at what else I could try and have just given up.

Good luck!
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Send a mail to https://www.mail-tester.com/ and looks what is wrong with the mails from your board.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
richxrich

Post by richxrich »

I tested gmail, yahoo, and the host emails and got scores of 10/10 from the mail-tester site, which seems to indicate that my emails are not being blocked by their respective servers.
janus_zonstraal

A link to your board can also help.
and the settings from the email page
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

And all you guys are sure those emails did not end up in a trash/spam folder? You are sure it was not even sent? Have you actually set one of your phpBB's user account's email address to the one that is displayed at https://www.mail-tester.com/ to then trigger something which should have resulted in notification emails for that account? And also waited for one hour so the board had the chance to process the whole queue of emails to be generated and sent?

I highly doubt selected emails are not sent - more likely selected emails are not received.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
a3035oc_web

Post by a3035oc_web »

You have set up the smtp config under Client Communication -> Email Settings ??

That stopped ours under v3.3.4
richxrich

Post by richxrich »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:45 am A link to your board can also help.
and the settings from the email page
My board is located at forum.sfbaaps.org

emailset1.png
emailset2.png
emailset3.png
I have made a habit of checking the spam/junk/trash folders for all my email accounts. In my line of work, I can't afford to miss emails from my clients, colleagues, or vendors.

For the testing of the emails, I used the email I have set in the UCP for my account as the Administrator (I also have Founder status). I have sent emails from the email in UCP the email in our board's settings. For example, I sent the email from [email protected] (the email I created via our host) to [email protected], which is the board-set email.

Other things I've tried: asked some our members to send me a PM from within the board, created new registrations from test email accounts, sent messages from the "Contact Us" form of the board, tried turning off and on the board-wide email, turned SMTP on/off, etc. I've also verified my Administrator permissions.

The end result is that I don't receive emails from any source regardless of the activity that would trigger an email. It worked in the past, even it was intermittently. Now, I don't get any emails at all.
janus_zonstraal

Use the smtp settings from your server.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

richxrich wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:11 pmI have made a habit of checking the spam/junk/trash folders for all my email accounts. In my line of work, I can't afford to miss emails from my clients, colleagues, or vendors.
In that case I strongly recommend you to disable spam recognition entirely - who knows which emails are dropped silently (neither informing you, nor the sender)...
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
richxrich

Post by richxrich »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:12 pm Use the smtp settings from your server.
I gave this a shot for a few days. No resolution on missing emails. It also had the unwelcome effect of slowing the forum at large. Posting messages lagged by a full minute or more, resulting in our members posting duplicate posts because they think the post is not going through. Any idea why enabling smtp would cause this slowdown?

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”