How to go on with update

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
newbyeagain

How to go on with update

Post by newbyeagain »

Installed 3.3.0 on http://starverses.altervista.org/phpBB3
Now, trying to update to 3.3.5, I am this point:

What should I do exactly? Maybe it looks like being a silly question but I don't want to make mistakes...

Thanks

Note: according to an old post, I disabled, by now, "ACP Add User" extension.
Last edited by newbyeagain on Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Io c'ho vent'anni, perciò non ti stupire se dal niente faccio drammi. Ho paura di lasciare al mondo soltanto denaro,
che il mio nome scompaia tra quelli di tutti gli altri. Ma c'ho solo vent'anni e già chiedo perdono per gli sbagli che ho commesso.
Ma la strada è più dura quando stai puntando al cielo. Quindi scegli le cose che son davvero importanti. Scegli amore o diamanti, demoni o santi. (MANESKIN - "Vent'anni")
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: How to go on with update

Post by KevC »

Just download 3.3.5 from this site.
Upload everything except config.php and go to the admin panel and run the database update.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

Have you made any modifications to the phpBB core files? If not, then you should follow the https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... date_full/ procedure to update.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
newbyeagain

Post by newbyeagain »

P_I wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:42 pm Have you made any modifications to the phpBB core files? If not, then you should follow the https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... date_full/ procedure to update.
full package? why? I used an update package (from 3.3.0 to 3.3.5)
Io c'ho vent'anni, perciò non ti stupire se dal niente faccio drammi. Ho paura di lasciare al mondo soltanto denaro,
che il mio nome scompaia tra quelli di tutti gli altri. Ma c'ho solo vent'anni e già chiedo perdono per gli sbagli che ho commesso.
Ma la strada è più dura quando stai puntando al cielo. Quindi scegli le cose che son davvero importanti. Scegli amore o diamanti, demoni o santi. (MANESKIN - "Vent'anni")
newbyeagain

Post by newbyeagain »

KevC wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:37 pm Just download 3.3.5 from this site.
Upload everything except config.php and go to the admin panel and run the database update.
deleted post
Last edited by newbyeagain on Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newbyeagain

Post by newbyeagain »

KevC wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:37 pm Just download 3.3.5 from this site.
Excuse me but... hy speaking about full packages when I am using "phpBB-3.3.0_to_3.3.5.zip" file?
Last edited by newbyeagain on Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Because it's a brand new installation with no other changes. You don't need to merge any file changes. Just put the new files on and update the database.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

newbyeagain wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:26 pm
P_I wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:42 pm Have you made any modifications to the phpBB core files? If not, then you should follow the https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... date_full/ procedure to update.
full package? why? I used an update package (from 3.3.0 to 3.3.5)
The simple answer is because Minor Updates Within 3.3.x says
There are several update paths available depending on the types of edits you have made to your board:

Section 2.5.1, “Full Package”

If you have made no modifications to core files, this is the easiest approach.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
newbyeagain

Post by newbyeagain »

KevC wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:31 pm Because it's a brand new installation with no other changes. You don't need to merge any file changes. Just put the new files on and update the database.
Then, publishing a "3.3.0->3.3.5" sounds useless and misleading...
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

newbyeagain wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:33 pm Then, publishing a "3.3.0->3.3.5" sounds "stupid"...
That's for people who have made custom code changes as it says in the description on the page
This update package supplies the automatic updater, which is capable of updating modified installations.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

newbyeagain wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:33 pm Then, publishing a "3.3.0->3.3.5" sounds useless and misleading...
On the page you visted it clear states :

Code: Select all

This update method is only recommended for installations with modifications to core phpBB files. This package detects changed files automatically and merges in changes if needed.
The only thing that is/could be missing on that page is a warning that the automatic update sometimes fails due to due to certain server/php settings. (on personal webserver I can't remember ever having a fail)
There's nothing against trying to use it, but when there are no modifications, it's not worth doing it. The Changed files or Full package are always the safest method to use.

and the answer to your opening post (with the printscreen)
newbyeagain wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:35 pm What should I do exactly? Maybe it looks like being a silly question but I don't want to make mistakes...
press Update Files and when that is done and successful Update database
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
david63

Post by david63 »

Well I for one am totally confused by some of the answers in this topic. The changed files option in the link above clearly states
Section 2.5.2, “Changed Files”

If you wish to only update the files that have changed between two releases, use this approach.
It makes no mention of "custom changes to core files".

I have used the changed files option from one minor version to another for years without any issues

Now what I will accept is that the OP started off by using the auto update method but then changed to saying
newbyeagain wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:26 pm I used an update package (from 3.3.0 to 3.3.5)
There needs to be clarification as to what the OP is/has done
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
newbyeagain

Post by newbyeagain »

I can say that installing 3.3.5 over previous version achieved good results, indeed.
The installation process worked fine, really...

Povri me sold!
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

newbyeagain wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:34 pm I can say that installing 3.3.5 over previous version achieved good results, indeed.
The installation process worked fine, really...
Glad you're happy with it although I'm stupified as to why you'ld want to "install over previous version". :roll:
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
newbyeagain

Post by newbyeagain »

You can put this topic as [CLOSED]

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”