Registered Users can't view attachments (images)

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
mcbassett

Registered Users can't view attachments (images)

Post by mcbassett »

Despite the following:

Forum Based Permissions > Forum Permissions
- Registered Users group has 'Standard Access' including 'Can Download Files' set to Yes.

Forum Based Permissions > Group Forum Permissions
- Registered Users group has 'Standard Access' including 'Can Download Files' set to Yes.

Forum Based Permissions > User Forum Permissions
- The user in question (a Registered User) has 'Standard Access' including 'Can Download Files' set to Yes.

Global Permissions > Group Permissions

Registered Users get the message "You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post" when viewing a post with image attachments. Images in posts loaded from URLs display fine.

I can view attachments as Admin.

What am I missing here?

Thanks.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Registered Users can't view attachments (images)

Post by thecoalman »

A member can belong to multiple groups and they likely belong to group with never permission set. phpBB permissions are stacked, the final permission a user has in the aggregate of yes permission with the exception of where never has been set.

No - Better defined as not set but can be overridden by yes in another group they belong too.
Yes - Permission is set to yes but can be overridden by never in another group.
Never - is always never

For example everyone belongs to the registered group and you use this to set your base permissions. A newly registered user belongs to both the registered user group, if the NRU group has never permission set for downloads they won't be able to download a file despite the yes permission for the registered user group. If the NRU
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

You need to use the Permission mask. User-based permissions for the Registered users group.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
mcbassett

Post by mcbassett »

thecoalman wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:54 am For example everyone belongs to the registered group and you use this to set your base permissions. A newly registered user belongs to both the registered user group, if the NRU group has never permission set for downloads they won't be able to download a file despite the yes permission for the registered user group. If the NRU
Thank you, this resolved the issue.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”