How To automatic update

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
stefanmaine

How To automatic update

Post by stefanmaine »

I am on a Mac with OS Big Sur (but I can switch to a PC with Windows 10)
I have a forum whose version is 3.3.0 and needs to be updated to 3.3.5
When I was younger, I used to do updates with your manual package. I fear my 82 year old brain would screw that up.
So, I clicked on Automatic Updates>>phpBB 3.3.0>>Download phpBB 3.3.0 to 3.3.5 update package (zip)
I now have that package on BetterZip.
It consists of three folders: docs, install, vendor.

Is there a HOW TO file in one of those folders that explains how I should proceed?
(I am okay handling files, FTP, and the like)
README.html in docs seems to be only about new installations.

Thank you.
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: How To automatic update

Post by P_I »

stefanmaine wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:32 pm I have a forum whose version is 3.3.0 and needs to be updated to 3.3.5
When I was younger, I used to do updates with your manual package. I fear my 82 year old brain would screw that up.
The process is simple and well documented.

Read https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ide/minor/ and if you have made no modifications to core files, the Full Package is the easiest approach.

I would use the Automatic Update approach ONLY as a last resort, i.e. the case you have made modifications to core files and do not want to manually re-apply them. There seem to be more posts here about problems using Automatic update than the other methods.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
stefanmaine

Post by stefanmaine »

OK, will do. Thank you.
Just to confirm before I perform "On your website, delete all files from your board EXCEPT ..."

The first two things "Full Package" says to do is "Make a backup of the original files. Make a backup of the database."
My server (InMotion) has performed a "backup" of my forum's directory. It's a zipped file (.tgz) that, when displayed in BetterZip, includes all the folders in the forum's directory on my site. I assume that includes not only the original phpBB files but also the threads or conversations or posts files created by me and my visitors, Is that correct?
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

stefanmaine wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:07 pm The first two things "Full Package" says to do is "Make a backup of the original files. Make a backup of the database."
My server (InMotion) has performed a "backup" of my forum's directory. It's a zipped file (.tgz) that, when displayed in BetterZip, includes all the folders in the forum's directory on my site. I assume that includes not only the original phpBB files but also the threads or conversations or posts files created by me and my visitors, Is that correct?
The "backup" of your forum's directory covers Step 1, Make a backup of the original files but doesn't cover Step 2, Make a backup of the database. The database contains all the topics and posts, plus many other things related to your phpBB forum. See https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... _database/ for more details.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Is that correct?
Normally not, the conversations are in the database, so you have to make a backup of the database to.
You can do that in the ACP => maintenance => backup
But best download the "store" folder after you made the backup, (the backup is in the store folder.)

Edit p_i is a faster typer ;)
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
invenio

Post by invenio »

stefanmaine

Post by stefanmaine »

Thank you all.
As suggested, I have backed up store and the folders/file at Forum Backup Instructions (which includes store)

I feel better now about "On your website, delete all files from your board EXCEPT..."
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Backup the database and disable the board before you start. Also, you will NOT be deleting the images folder nor the ext folder.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
stefanmaine

Post by stefanmaine »

Please ignore this, and proceed to my next entry.

I apologize.
I would delete the image if I knew how.
Attachments
php.png
Last edited by stefanmaine on Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stefanmaine

Post by stefanmaine »

Please excuse me for repeating this reply. I could avoid it if I knew how to delete this second box.

I have deleted and uploaded.

The Full Package instructions say "Using your web browser, visit /install/app.php/update in your board's root (e.g. http://www.example.com/yourforum/install/app.php/update). You will see the following warning message: No valid update directory was found, please make sure you uploaded the relevant files. This is expected and not an error ... Select "Update database only" and click Submit"

At /update I see the this image
php.png
The notice "No valid update directory ...." and "Update database only" and "Submit" are not seen.

Only the single word "Update" it is a hot link.

Should I click it? Will that generate a link to "Update database only"?
stefanmaine

Post by stefanmaine »

I took a chance, and clicked on "Update"
Opened a page to a link "Update database only" which I clicked
That started an update process that went to 100% and a notice that the process was completed satisfactorily.
I deleted Install.
I was able to log on, and at ACP it showed 3.3.5

The topic names that were on the 3.3.0 forum appear, as well as some other data.

BUT clicking on any of the topic names which should yield threads/conversations or whatever they are called, yields blank pages.

I backed up what I understood were the threads/conversations, so I should be okay.

Otherwise, I could restore the whole 3.3.0 package?
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Do you have a link to your board?
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

stefanmaine wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:47 pm
I backed up what I understood were the threads/conversations, so I should be okay.
What does this mean? You have to backup the entire database.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
stefanmaine

Post by stefanmaine »

After posting my last reply, I had to leave the house == I just came back, and the forum is complete.

It's 3.3.5 and all the topics are complete.

I guess it needed some time with me off the keyboard!

I apologize.

I thank you all. Particularly P_I for initially urging me to use the Full Package.

Really. I appreciate your help!!!

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”