I deleted the Administrator password in the user_password field in the phpbb_users table via phpMyAdmin in cPanel.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Andrew Mackinnon

I deleted the Administrator password in the user_password field in the phpbb_users table via phpMyAdmin in cPanel.

Post by Andrew Mackinnon »

This is not the first post I envisaged writing!

I've done something really stupid.

I couldn't find where to change the Administrator password in the user interface of phpBB version 3.3.5, not realising that it's possible to change it in the User Control Panel.

So I stupidly deleted the encrypted password in the user_password field in the phpbb_users table, using phpMyAdmin on cPanel and then typed in the password I wanted to change the Adminstrator password to without any encryption.

The result was that I can no longer log into my phpBB installation with my Administrator account because my unencrypted password is not recognised.

I would really appreciate it if somebody could please help me to gain Administrator-level control once again of my phpBB installation so that I don't have to reinstall it.

I have sound understanding of SQL as a result of previously working in database development using Microsoft Access, SQL and VBA but I have negligible knowledge of PHP. (I've managed a WordPress installation that uses MySQL and PHP.) I can follow instructions to run PHP code if necessary.

Thanks a lot for any assistance you can provide.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: I deleted the Administrator password in the user_password field in the phpbb_users table via phpMyAdmin in cPanel.

Post by Brf »

In phpMyAdmin, run the following, which will create an admin user named Admin1 with a password of admin. From that point you should be able to get into the ACP.

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO phpbb_users (user_type, group_id, username, username_clean, user_regdate, user_password, user_email, user_lang, user_style, user_rank, user_colour, user_posts, user_permissions, user_ip, user_birthday, user_lastpage, user_last_confirm_key, user_post_sortby_type, user_post_sortby_dir, user_topic_sortby_type, user_topic_sortby_dir, user_avatar, user_sig, user_sig_bbcode_uid, user_jabber, user_actkey, user_newpasswd) VALUES (3, 5, 'Admin1', 'admin1', 0, '21232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3', '[email protected]', 'en', 1, 1, 'AA0000', 1, '', '', '', '', '', 't', 'a', 't', 'd', '', '', '', '', '', '');
Change your table prefix if it is not phpbb_

See Executing SQL Queries in phpMyAdmin if you are unfamiliar with running database queries.

As soon as you have done this, use the temporary admin account to change the details on the original admin account, then delete the temporary account.
This is because:
  1. anyone could use that account to log in to your board if you didn't change the password.
  2. this temporary user has not been fully set up (e.g. it is not a member of the "Registered users" group, so it won't have normal access to your forums).
To remove the account you will first need to remove ???founder??? status from it: ACP > USERS AND GROUPS tab > Manage Users > Admin1 > Overview > Founder = No
Andrew Mackinnon

Re: I deleted the Administrator password in the user_password field in the phpbb_users table via phpMyAdmin in cPanel.

Thanks so much, Brf, for your very speedy, detailed assistance. I really appreciate it! I'm pretty sure you just saved me from a lot of trouble.

I'll follow your instructions and let you know how I get on.
Andrew Mackinnon

Thanks a lot, Brf, for your very speedy and detailed assistance. I really appreciate it!

By following your instructions, I was able to completely solve my problem. I'm pretty sure that I've never received assistance as quick and effective as that before.

If you have a PayPal account, I'd like to send you a modest amount of money.

I don't really like to ask, but while you're here, could I please request that my username be changed to "Andrew"?
Andrew Mackinnon

Thanks a lot for your very speedy and detailed assistance. I really appreciate it!

By following your instructions, I was able to solve my problem.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Andrew Mackinnon wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:29 pm I don't really like to ask, but while you're here, could I please request that my username be changed to "Andrew"?
You would need to ask one of the Management crew. Try sending a PM to Noxwizard memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=192443
Andrew Mackinnon

Thanks a lot, Brf. You're great!

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”