Is it possible...?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Trig0r

Re: Is it possible...?

Post by Trig0r »

Spoke too soon...

I've been digging through inactive users, but when I try to delete them I get a host of errors.

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Duplicate entry 'notification.type.admin_activate_user' for key 'type' [1062]

SQL

INSERT INTO phpbb_notification_types (notification_type_name, notification_type_enabled) VALUES ('notification.type.admin_activate_user', 1)

BACKTRACE

FILE: (not given by php)
LINE: (not given by php)
CALL: msg_handler()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/driver.php
LINE: 1023
CALL: trigger_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysqli.php
LINE: 202
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\driver->sql_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/factory.php
LINE: 345
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\mysqli->sql_query()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/notification/manager.php
LINE: 942
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\factory->sql_query()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/notification/manager.php
LINE: 470
CALL: phpbb\notification\manager->get_notification_type_id()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/functions_user.php
LINE: 769
CALL: phpbb\notification\manager->delete_notifications()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/acp/acp_inactive.php
LINE: 171
CALL: user_delete()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/functions_module.php
LINE: 676
CALL: acp_inactive->main()

FILE: [ROOT]/adm/index.php
LINE: 81
CALL: p_master->load_active()

The forums themselves seem to behave, you can reply to posts as well as post new stuff, but when you're in the ACP stuff goes a bit wobbly..
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Trig0r wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:48 pm Spoke too soon...
The forums themselves seem to behave, you can reply to posts as well as post new stuff, but when you're in the ACP stuff goes a bit wobbly..
To be honest, I'm not surprised.
Your 3.2.2 database was borked but we're clueless as to how it was borked. You then stated you had a working 3.2.11 but no info on how you got it to 3.2.11 (did you update, or just put the 3.2.11 files in place and fired up the 3.2.11? was the php version suited for 3.2.11?).

Since you host possibly doesn't offer a php version suited for 3.3.5 - plus the fact that apparently your host only allows you 1 database - I'll make you an offer (free).
Send me (PM) a link to download your 3.2.2 databasebackup, state the php version you're using and I'll test it, see if I can fix it, and even upgrade it (if possible) and then send it back to you (it would be something for tomorrow as it's getting late).

Added: offer expires Monday, 29 November at 12:00 (UTC + 01:00)
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Trig0r

Post by Trig0r »

I downloaded the files to do a 3.2.2 to 3.2.11 upgrade, which seemed to work, I then did the same to 3.3.5, I can pick which version of PHP the site runs, 7.1/7.2/7.3/7.4/8, once I was on 3.3.5 I then set the PHP to v8.

It wasn't until I went into the ACP and started trying to prune the hundreds of inactive/spam accounts that things started going wrong and I started to get SQL errors as above, obviously I should have tested the 3.2.11 install properly as this issue might have been present at that time.

Thanks for the offer, I'll fire you a PM, it might be something simple, but I've not sat down in front of this thing for more than 30 minutes at a time as its a weekend and I keep getting interrupted by the other half which is mighty annoying when you're trying to do stuff...
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Trig0r wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:36 pm I downloaded the files to do a 3.2.2 to 3.2.11 upgrade, which seemed to work, I then did the same to 3.3.5, I can pick which version of PHP the site runs, 7.1/7.2/7.3/7.4/8, once I was on 3.3.5 I then set the PHP to v8.

It wasn't until I went into the ACP and started trying to prune the hundreds of inactive/spam accounts that things started going wrong and I started to get SQL errors as above, obviously I should have tested the 3.2.11 install properly as this issue might have been present at that time.

Thanks for the offer, I'll fire you a PM, it might be something simple, but I've not sat down in front of this thing for more than 30 minutes at a time as its a weekend and I keep getting interrupted by the other half which is mighty annoying when you're trying to do stuff...
You sent me the 3.3.5 database. Errors already present in the 3.2.2 may have induced other/new errors in the 3.2.11 and then more errors in the 3.3.5.
Please send the 3.2.2 database you started with.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Trig0r

Post by Trig0r »

Well, I'm back up and running, ACP works, something odd is going on though, I only started looking at upgrading Friday last week, yet when I look at the logs it appears someone 'Anonymous' on the log, updated the DB from 3.2.2 to 3.3.5..
The hosts support guys rolled my db back to the 23rd Nov and now I can get back in, PHP is 7.2 but forums are reporting 3.3.5 which is most likely down to my having a fresh 3.3.5 on there but then with the normal 'update' folders dumped in there...

Time to get them backups working properly...

Thanks @warmweer
david63

Post by david63 »

Trig0r wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:51 am when I look at the logs it appears someone 'Anonymous' on the log, updated the DB from 3.2.2 to 3.3.5..
Nothing wrong there - you were not logged in when you ran the update.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

OK, it seems I spent about an hour unneeded testing and looking for the errors to no avail. I did a structural comparison of your database with a clean 335 and the table definitions are OK, the necessary data in the config_table is present, permission system and modules, all OK

If any errors occurred, they were probably due to your browser and board cache (I had a couple to start with because force server settings was set to true and I got redirected to the live site).

Just a hint (for the future should a problem arise and you need to send the database to someone): When taking a backup (with phpMyAdmin or any other database management system) don't use extended inserts. (phpBB constructed backups don't use extended inserts).

Added: almost forgot: there were no inactive users at all

Trig0r

Post by Trig0r »

david63 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:57 am
Trig0r wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:51 am when I look at the logs it appears someone 'Anonymous' on the log, updated the DB from 3.2.2 to 3.3.5..
Nothing wrong there - you were not logged in when you ran the update.
I wasn't doing anything on the 11th of November though, I only started looking at getting things back up and running on the 25th/26th..
Trig0r

Post by Trig0r »

warmweer wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:24 pm OK, it seems I spent about an hour unneeded testing and looking for the errors to no avail. I did a structural comparison of your database with a clean 335 and the table definitions are OK, the necessary data in the config_table is present, permission system and modules, all OK

If any errors occurred, they were probably due to your browser and board cache (I had a couple to start with because force server settings was set to true and I got redirected to the live site).

Just a hint (for the future should a problem arise and you need to send the database to someone): When taking a backup (with phpMyAdmin or any other database management system) don't use extended inserts. (phpBB constructed backups don't use extended inserts).

Added: almost forgot: there were no inactive users at all
So its not looking like an actual db error at all then?
Theres still something going on, the recovery from the hosts is now showing 3.2.2 which is right, but sometimes when I go from one ACP menu to another I get an HTTP500 error from my browser..

On the inactive user side, I was going to crop out all of the spam accounts that had been created, so 0 post users, manually checked against people I know are real, but not posted, and then bin them off.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Trig0r wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:33 pm
So its not looking like an actual db error at all then?
Theres still something going on, the recovery from the hosts is now showing 3.2.2 which is right, but sometimes when I go from one ACP menu to another I get an HTTP500 error from my browser..

On the inactive user side, I was going to crop out all of the spam accounts that had been created, so 0 post users, manually checked against people I know are real, but not posted, and then bin them off.
I had a white page or 2 and an unwanted redirect because of force server setting

Check your server settings (start with force server setting on NO, change cookie_name, clear browser and board cache - once you know which settings to use, then you can set force server settings to yes (I got redirect to a url with directory /forum at first).

oh, forgot to mention: prosilver has style_id = 13 and it's the only style installed. If I were you, I'ld change that to style_id = 1 (and also for al the members). (see the styles_table and the users_table)

Trig0r

Post by Trig0r »

I've changed the cookie name, force URL, cleared the cache.

I have also pushed the PHP version back to 7.1 as mentioned I was getting PHP errors, doing that seems to have stopped the errors popping up and the board is a lot more responsive now.

Will do another backup, and then see about going to 3.2.11, if that works and is PHP error-free then I will roll the PHP version up to something a bit newer as the CP does moan about 7.17.2 being depreciated.
If 3.2.11 works, then another backup and see how 3.3.5 goes.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Trig0r wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:09 pm I've changed the cookie name, force URL, cleared the cache.

I have also pushed the PHP version back to 7.1 as mentioned I was getting PHP errors, doing that seems to have stopped the errors popping up and the board is a lot more responsive now.

Will do another backup, and then see about going to 3.2.11, if that works and is PHP error-free then I will roll the PHP version up to something a bit newer as the CP does moan about 7.17.2 being depreciated.
If 3.2.11 works, then another backup and see how 3.3.5 goes.
I tested your board using php 7.1.11, 7.4.3 and 8.0.7 (phpBB3.3.5)

How can you go back to 3.2.11 if you haven't got the 3.2.2 backup? BTW Using a 3.3.5 database with phpBB 3.2 files can have unexpected (and unwanted) results.

Whatever you do, take a backup of your current 3.3.5 and store that in a safe place (I've deleted the copies I had).

Trig0r

Post by Trig0r »

I managed to get a backup from the hosts support guys from the 30th of last month, so I'm using that, it does appear that the problems could be PHP version related as since I set the site to use 7.1 I've had no issues at all, so now its a step by step upgrade to 3.3.5 and then PHP 8, will see how the boards performance goes as it has been slow and throwing up random errors when I was on any version other than 7.1...

I'll be making back ups at every step and make sure that they are all date named so I don't end up overwriting the actual one I want this time...
Trig0r

Post by Trig0r »

For anyone else who stumbles on this thread, my php.ini for 7.1 had a 'memory_limit' set to 512M, other versions were set to '32M', increasing this to 512M as per my php7.1 install solved the PHP errors I was getting, I will check the rest of the settings between 7.1 and 8 and see what other differences there are, but all I changed was the limit and that seems to have done the job.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”